PDA

View Full Version : Teacup Stingray

freshwaterfishlover
05-06-2007, 07:17 PM
What is the very least minimum size tank a Teacup Stingray needs?

cocoa_pleco
05-06-2007, 07:24 PM
Ive heard that a 75g is the minimum. They like to bury themselves, meaning they like surface area at the bottom. A 55g long WOULD, and COULD work, but a 55g's like puting a oscar in a 33g, it can work but is not best.

If you are able to get a long tank vs. a regular or tall tank, thats best

Fishguy2727
05-06-2007, 08:47 PM
A male would be fine in a 75 if you have enough filtration and do enough water changes. 55 would not be enough.

YaYgoldFish
05-07-2007, 01:01 AM
maybe this site is just way off, but it says 125g. Anyways it has alot of info about them:

http://www.fishforums.com/forum/profile-article-discussions/5428-freshwater-teacup-stingray-reticulated-stingray.html

Fishguy2727
05-07-2007, 01:15 AM
125 is better (bigger is always better), but 75 could be done if really done right, at least with only one male since the males stay smaller.

freshwaterfishlover
09-23-2007, 01:08 PM
125g are fore regular sized Stingrays. 75g are for Teacup Stingrays.

Fishguy2727
09-23-2007, 02:16 PM
Depends on what species. Teacup males coudl be done in a 75, otherwise you need to go bigger. Many species get way too big for a 125. So it is not as simple as some people may tell you. Some can have diameters of a meter or more.

MeganL3985
09-23-2007, 03:22 PM
Man I would love to have a stingray...they're so soft and nice.

zackish
09-23-2007, 03:26 PM
I just saw one of these teacup stingrays at my LFS yesturday. It was very cool and about 7 inches long. (tail to head)

tropfish
09-23-2007, 05:51 PM
thats really cool! atthe aquairum they had a stingray tak that was on the ceiling so you looked up at their bottoms, and then they fed them it was awesome lol

TowBoater
09-23-2007, 06:57 PM
Said they were illegal in AR. One of my LFS is able to get them, guess it is another species?

MeganL3985
09-23-2007, 07:26 PM
thats really cool! atthe aquairum they had a stingray tak that was on the ceiling so you looked up at their bottoms, and then they fed them it was awesome lol

If you go to Ripleys Believe It Or Not Aquarium in Myrtle Beach, SC they have a "Ray Bay" Where you can lean over a little rock wall and pet the singrays that come up to you. Some are small others are up to 2-3ft wide. Huge suckers they are...but so gentle and they feel like velvet. I loooove that part of the aquarium. Though occasionally a little shark will come up and they probably dont bite, but i'm not gonna pet them and find out that they do. lol

Heres a pic from their website--
http://www.ripleysaquarium.com/images/fun27.jpg

*Sarah*
09-23-2007, 08:20 PM
If you go to Ripleys Believe It Or Not Aquarium in Myrtle Beach, SC they have a "Ray Bay" Where you can lean over a little rock wall and pet the singrays that come up to you. Some are small others are up to 2-3ft wide. Huge suckers they are...but so gentle and they feel like velvet. I loooove that part of the aquarium. Though occasionally a little shark will come up and they probably dont bite, but i'm not gonna pet them and find out that they do. lol

Heres a pic from their website--
http://www.ripleysaquarium.com/images/fun27.jpg
Wow that's dangerous. If a person got stung they could get in a lot of trouble...

I would love to have a stingray too, in my 100g. My lfs has them, but from what I've read the stings are extremely painful, and dangerous. Also, they're very messy fish to keep.

gm72
09-23-2007, 08:23 PM
Stingrays are advanced fish to keep, not something left to anyone but true experts.

TowBoater
09-23-2007, 08:29 PM
I ain't no expert but if I had a large enough tank and preferably like one of the octagon tanks Petco has, then I would get one in a heart beat to try.:c2:

Fishguy2727
09-23-2007, 10:45 PM
Those stingray petting area rays are saltwater/brackish cownose rays, their sting is like that of a bee's. Rays and sharks are not nearly as dangerous as people are led to believe. In Discovery Cove in Orlando I swam with the cownose rays in a large ray feeding pool.

Freshwater rays need big tanks, very clean water, and an advanced keeper. Some species are hardier than others. Some are much larger than others. They are nice but not for beginner to medium aquarists.

gm72
09-23-2007, 11:44 PM
Thank you for the confirmation, Fishguy!

kkevvy
12-23-2007, 02:16 AM
I have a timeshare in Curacao, at the Sea Aquarium Resort (literally RIGHT next to the Curacao Sea Aquarium). I went there like, everyday. The earliest was the best so you could see them dumping the 150+ feeder fish into the huge jewfish tank. mauahhaa. But anyway, it was really cool, something like 80+ aquariums. Look it up, its revolutionary as far as aquariums go.

Anyway, they had a ray feeding pool Eagle spotted rays and cow rays, and I fed them a few times. I actually stood in the water (up to my mid-thigh) with fish in my hand, and they came and like vacuums - sucked it right out. Very cool. As long as you dont... say.... step on one or grab it, you wont get stung. They're very docile creatures.

Fishguy2727
12-23-2007, 04:54 AM
Those species are docile. Others are more jumpy, hence more likely to sting.

Tooch
12-28-2007, 06:38 PM
I go to Atlanta every year for races at Road Atlanta, and have visited the Georgia Aquarium a few times. They have a Ray & Shark pool there like the one Megan was talking about. Lean right over the wall and pet them! They had bottlenose sharks, which look like small hammerheads. No one was bitten when I was there! The Rays were very soft, and the sharks felt kinda like sandpaper, from what I can remember

TheOrganical1
07-24-2008, 07:54 PM
I just put 2 teacup rays in a 35 gallon long with nothing else in the tank besides a few live plants. Ive gotten so many mixed reveiws of what size tank to put them in and frankly i dont have the room for a 125 gallon tank and really wanted stingrays. So I will keep you folks posted on how it turns out. So far in the first hour a fed them a little to calm them down after the traumatic experience they had (I got into a car accident on the way home with them) And they seem fine.

cocoa_pleco
07-24-2008, 08:11 PM
thread is over a year old

Fishguy2727
07-24-2008, 09:02 PM
And sounds like spam.

Inspiire
06-18-2009, 03:58 AM
I didn't even know they had freshwater stingrays until about a month ago. I've never seen any in a LFS in AR.

Everyones freaking out because you can pet a stingray in a pool? They cut the stingers off of them every year, or however fast they grow back. They wouldn't put them and sharks in a tank for the public to get hurt.

I would like to have a teacup stingray though...

lol

DrNic
06-18-2009, 04:33 AM
Since rays don't need much vertical space for swimming I've heard that ultra large terrarium tanks are ideal for teacup rays. They are really long and wide, but not very deep. I'm not sure what the gallonage on the tanks is but I've seen them as large as 6 feet square and about 2.5 feet deep.

Alpo
06-18-2009, 05:54 AM
Everyones freaking out because you can pet a stingray in a pool? They cut the stingers off of them every year, or however fast they grow back. They wouldn't put them and sharks in a tank for the public to get hurt.
hah I know right? I've actually been to that ripleys aquarium also and thought it was kinda lame since i had most of the stuff the in my very home. excluding the rays, sharks, and leafy sea dragon.......oh the incredible sea dragon

DudeWithStingrays
02-26-2011, 02:25 AM
A 55 would work fine.
As long as you plan to upgrade within the year.
If the rays tail touches one side and his head touches the other when turning around the tank is too small.

I have my two teacup rays in a 75g. 52x24x16. So when they get mature i will have to upgrade or get rid of them. Wich is gunna be heart breaking.

Fishguy2727
02-26-2011, 02:27 AM
Thead is over a year and half dead.

funkman262
02-26-2011, 03:17 AM
lol this is the third time the thread was re-awoken from the dead. It started in '07, then a post pops up in '08, again in '09, and then now.

LongIslandFish
03-23-2011, 03:16 PM
Teacups or "reticulated" stingrays are harder to keep alive for a starter ray. It would be worth starting with a Motoro Stingray as they are hardier and easier to care for. they do however grow bigger than reticulated and really 120 gallons (or much more) imo is a must for any ray since they are so sensative to water quality.

Fishguy2727
03-23-2011, 05:02 PM
Someone close this thread so it can rest in peace.

Lady Hobbs
03-25-2011, 02:20 AM
This thread is 2 months from being 4 years old people.

You can set your options if you don't want old threads appearing which will prevent you from wanting to resurrect them from the dead.