PDA

View Full Version : one wide L201(inspector) Pleco

discushopeful
02-27-2010, 03:38 AM
I have this in a community tank along with swords(55 Gallon), two large , one male and one female pleco. Plus two small ones maybe 2 1/2" long. The biggest is about 3 1/2" and extreamly fat.
My situation is this: I know the 2 biggest are male and female but I am guessing the setup is not much for breeding conditions. I have no caves for them yet and am wondering if they will breed under the rocks i have in the tank. I tried all of them in a 10 gallon alone and nothing happened. Any Pleco GURU's here to tell me what to do? I'm afraid the fermale is going to burst, lolol. Do Pleco's choose their mate's or do they breed if there is just one sex of each?
OPEN for comments and answers. Many Thanks ahead....Richard

toddnbecka
02-27-2010, 05:53 AM
Many species of pleco's like to spawn where there's a good flow of water, like near the outflow of a hob filter or canister spraybar. Some species simply won't spawn w/out a strong enough current.
As for mating, it's generally best to have at least 2 males and several females sharing a sufficiently large tank. My experience with BN and L-10a has been that one male will get all the action from several females. Other males are good for providing choices/competition, but don't actually spawn.

discushopeful
03-01-2010, 12:07 AM
Tank you Todd and becka
I'll set up a tank for them but i'm not sure by your answer that I have enough L201's to get spawns. Maybe I'll just sell them on Aquabid. Whatever, many thanks for the quick responce. Richard