PDA

View Full Version : weird betta

HomaridNoob6
02-27-2010, 02:28 AM
So, normally I don't buy Bettas, I hate the whole betta thing, they are really cool fish, but let me just leave it there. Well, this time I saw one I had to have, solid black body, neon crimson and blue fins. I love bettas that look like that, and enjoy them all anyway, I just don't like buying them.

So I got him, and he is a weirdo. He's in a 20g with a few other fish, and all he seems to do all day long is see how tangled he can get in the large chunk of java moss in the tank. He gets into it where he looks stuck, and then stops moving for quite a while, and does this often. Anyone ever seen a Betta do this? I've never seen anything but a kuhli loach or eel bury itself in java moss and sit there, I especially would not expect Betta to do this. First time I saw it I thought he was stuck, and trimmed him out of it, but he seems to do it all the time and get out fine.

Maybe its normal, I've never had a Betta in a tank with Java moss before, just wondering if anyone else has experienced this or if it's normal and I have no clue or whatever.

Northernguy
02-27-2010, 02:31 AM
Its normal!lol
Mine used to hide out and rest in the hornswort.
It freaked me out too!
Its also new to the tank with other fish.

HomaridNoob6
02-27-2010, 03:13 AM
Right on NG. But he isn't that new to the tank, he was in the tank about three or more weeks before he started doing this. He's the dominant one in the tank, he owns the topwater when he isn't burying himself in the moss

AmyLynn
02-27-2010, 03:17 AM
Mine likes to lay either under his anubias or on his side on one of the leaves. LOL

rich311k
02-27-2010, 03:19 AM
Mine hide and sleep on the plants all the time, pretty normal.

sheamurai
02-27-2010, 03:21 AM
I used to call mine "doily" because of the way he'd drape himself over a plant!

korith
02-27-2010, 03:24 AM
The betta I had use to do that as well. Though mine liked to play dead as well, I remember a few times I had to shake the plant to see if he was still alive.

Oscar_freak12321
02-27-2010, 04:07 AM
I'd say fairly normal. My little guy hides under his decorations on the bottom quite frequently.

CherrySparkles
03-03-2010, 06:36 PM
I think it's normal... at least normal by betta standards - they can be little characters/weirdos sometimes! My little guy has started draping himself sideways over the temperature knob on the heater.... don't even ask, I have no idea. :P But that's his spot that he likes right now, and I guess he's comfy?