PDA

View Full Version : Stupid moss question

Zilla
02-26-2010, 04:46 PM
Mosses do not have roots, correct?

I won't mention the name of the site I'm quoting this from, but does this make sense?

Xmas moss, Java moss and Star moss from our farmers come with root structure in brown color. New leave struture will grow from the root structure once it has adapt in the new environment (do not remove the brown portion).

We will generally offer extended Guarantee for another 2 weeks. If the moss is dead within the 2 week, we will proceed to refund or reship.

Brown moss = dead moss?

toysrus
02-26-2010, 05:04 PM
LOL I have JavaFern that won't attache to anything :hmm3grin2orange: it has brown roots too.I had some java moss once and it was decent looking green stuff.

Zilla
02-26-2010, 05:10 PM
I got some Java Fern in last week. Those have roots and mine were covered in dirt so I just planted them as usual. I'm presently doing a lighting experiment with them though as the leaves have black dots on them. It's not algae and no holes so I don't know if it's a lighting issue or something else. The problem leaves are not dying, so who knows.

The moss thing though, I have no clue. I've never heard of moss having brown roots. To the best of my knowledge, brown moss is dead moss hence the reason I'm asking.

SunSchein89
02-26-2010, 05:35 PM
I got some Java Fern in last week. Those have roots and mine were covered in dirt so I just planted them as usual. I'm presently doing a lighting experiment with them though as the leaves have black dots on them. It's not algae and no holes so I don't know if it's a lighting issue or something else. The problem leaves are not dying, so who knows.

The moss thing though, I have no clue. I've never heard of moss having brown roots. To the best of my knowledge, brown moss is dead moss hence the reason I'm asking.

I'm pretty sure the black dots you're speaking of are meant to be there. I could be wrong, but I know at least for my tropica fern this is true and more than likley the java fern as well. The black dots are actually part of their reproduction system. When you see these black dots on the underside of the leaves that means they are about to, already have, or are in the process of releasing spores. The term for them is "sori." If, however, you are getting big blotchy spots on both sides of the leaves then there is something else wrong.

toysrus
02-26-2010, 07:35 PM
I have big blotchy spots on both sides of Java Fern.
What's wrong with them?

toysrus
02-26-2010, 07:48 PM
I have big blotchy spots on both sides of Java Fern.
What's wrong with them?
It's going away,anyway all I ever have is stupid questions.

annageckos
02-26-2010, 07:53 PM
Java Fern should not be buried in the substrate, if the rimzone is covered the plant will die. The roots are used as an anchor and you can burry those, just make sure the rimzone is uncovered. Java moss on the other hand, I have never seen roots on mine. The bottom layer of moss does turn brown but that is because it doesn't get light like the upper layer.

Zilla
02-26-2010, 09:33 PM
I'm pretty sure the black dots you're speaking of are meant to be there. I could be wrong, but I know at least for my tropica fern this is true and more than likley the java fern as well. The black dots are actually part of their reproduction system. When you see these black dots on the underside of the leaves that means they are about to, already have, or are in the process of releasing spores. The term for them is "sori." If, however, you are getting big blotchy spots on both sides of the leaves then there is something else wrong.

No blotches, just dots.

I'll keep an eye on them anyway, but that's an interesting piece of info .

octoxpuss
02-26-2010, 10:47 PM
No blotches, just dots.

I'll keep an eye on them anyway, but that's an interesting piece of info .
Mine had lots of black dots on them and i got worried but then little plantlets came off of it.

Sarkazmo
02-27-2010, 12:37 AM
Lemme guess this question comes up because you were considering ordering plants from Jahoor, Malaysia from an eBay seller?

They're not really 'roots' per se. You essentially get a brownish mat that looks like it's dead. It's not. It will take a while for it to grow in and green up though. I got some moss from 'em (not Java Moss) as a sample and it was like that. It took me about 6-8 months to get that moss to grow out and look like it was supposed to.

Sark

Zilla
02-27-2010, 12:53 AM
No names. I only thump on companies that really get on my nerves.

I've gotten Java Moss from other hobbyists and the stuff was always bright green. I have brown, fugly, Java moss now that I was sent last week and it's not doing much. The only reason I haven't pitched it is there are a few strands of green.

I have a big clump in the 55 that my Gouramis are making a huge mess out of and a tiny bunch from the big clump in the 55 in the 20 I'm currently cycling. The 20 is supposed to be a invert tank, hence the want for moss, but I'd almost be just as happy to keep it as a plant tank.

Oh well. As long as I start seeing a few more green strands occasionally, it can stay. Once the signs of any life disappears, it's outta here and into the compost bin. Everybody has been grumbling about shipping plants anyway.

Thanks for the info.

Algenco
02-27-2010, 02:21 AM
Lemme guess this question comes up because you were considering ordering plants from Jahoor, Malaysia from an eBay seller?

They're not really 'roots' per se. You essentially get a brownish mat that looks like it's dead. It's not. It will take a while for it to grow in and green up though. I got some moss from 'em (not Java Moss) as a sample and it was like that. It took me about 6-8 months to get that moss to grow out and look like it was supposed to.

Sark

and it will be sent as "toys" or something similar to avoid the required sanitary certification in violation of Customs laws

Zilla
02-27-2010, 02:25 AM
Ewww...that's gross.

I think I'll stick with my fugly moss and if it doesn't do anything, I'll contact the person I got my last bunch from.