PDA

View Full Version : New pest from new shrimp

wlepse
02-26-2010, 12:01 AM
I just got some fresh blood for my shrimp tank and it appears as if I inadventantly added a bug to the tank too. I noticed these little guys when I was acclimating but didn't realize they were alive, I thought it was just broken down organic matter from the plants that were shipped. Shortly after adding the shrimp to the tank I noticed that these things move! They appear to be about the size of the red cherry shrimps eyes and roundish. They seem to crawl around on the substrate mainly but occasionally appear to propel themselves through the water but stick close to the substrate. I can't quite make out the color but I would say brownish with possibly a darker line down the center. It also looks like there might be something sticking out from what I think might be the front. Again it is very hard to tell since they are so tiny. The closest thing I can find are ostracoda...any other thoughts and should I be concerned?

annageckos
02-26-2010, 12:08 AM
Most of the little freshwater hitchhikers do not pose any threat. And trying to id them can be next to impostable. If what you have are seedshrimp I wouldn't worry about them.

troy
02-26-2010, 12:37 AM
I'm guessing Daphnia.

VoidParadigm
02-26-2010, 03:27 AM
You have fish in there? They'll be gone as soon as the fish realize they're edible.

Sarkazmo
02-26-2010, 04:52 AM
Sounds like Daphnia or Seed Shrimp. They're both harmless and if established will actually be beneficial to your tank. They'll both be food for inhabitants and eat particles of food and such that other animals won't even see. Here's a link to a thread I posted some time ago about little tiny swimmers. (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=54922&highlight=seed+shrimp+daphnia)

Sark

wlepse
02-28-2010, 08:53 PM
Well just took a look in the shrimp tank and noticed there are a lot more of whatever these things are. I am leaning towards seed shrimp since I do not see any apendages. Here is a pic of one I took out....anyone have any ideas?