PDA

View Full Version : Marine tanks - What are the differences?

AndrewGen
02-25-2010, 10:49 PM
I've been thinking of going the saltwater route after keeping fresh water aquariums for about 5 years and have been noticing that there are several tank manufacturers including:

JBJ
Oceanic
Red Sea Max

What's the difference between these makes besides the price?

Thanks for your help.

Dave66
02-25-2010, 11:03 PM
Not much actually. If you'd be buying a glass tank, you'd want a tank that has sharp, well dressed corners with no excess silicone, and you can see the thickness of the glass between different manufactures. Thicker glass is more durable than thinner and thus less likely to leak or burst over time.

If the tank you buy is acrylic, one that is cell cast has no corner connections and thus is highly unlikely to ever leak or burst, but acrylic does cost more than an equivalent glass tank.

As I'm sure you know, much research, study and planning is necessary to be a success in marine.

Dave

Tigerbarb
02-26-2010, 05:17 AM
It's all about which brand you prefer. Different brands will offer different aquarium sizes, different filtration systems, different amounts of lighting, etc. If cost is not an issue, Red Sea Max probably has the most equipment included. I'd look up all three of your options, and take a trip to your local aquarium supplier to get a better look at each system. IMO, this would be the best way to decide.