PDA

View Full Version : Floating plants + filter pump = giant mess

MrBaggy
02-24-2010, 02:36 AM
I recently began a foray into floating plants and bought some from my local aquarium store. The problem is, I have a pretty strong filter pump, and in turn it's constantly blowing all my plants under water and making a big mess of the tank. The output for the filtration system is submerged just below the water, but the pull of it still tugs my plants below the surface. :scry:

Does anyone have any suggestions for preventing this from happening? Should I try to corral my floating plants somehow? I can't think of any great solutions.

Oscar_freak12321
02-24-2010, 02:40 AM
What type of filter is it? You might be able to reduce the water flow.

toddnbecka
02-24-2010, 03:48 AM
A narrow piece of styrofoam long enough to reach from the front to the back of the tank would be the simplest solution. Maybe a couple of suction cups at the water line to hold it in place.

annageckos
02-24-2010, 03:57 AM
I resently made a 'corral' out of airline tubing and a connecter. I made a loop out of it and put the floating plants inside to keep them all together. To keep it in one spot I used some fishing line and tied it to the center brace.

MrBaggy
02-24-2010, 10:10 PM
It's an Eheim Professional II.

The air tubing or perhaps a fishing line corral sound like good ideas. The styrofoam sounds like it might be a little obvious.

I was hoping if the output was submerged enough it wouldn't be a problem, but it seems to pull them under anyways. Thanks all!

UncleWillie
02-24-2010, 10:28 PM
My solution has been similar. I use a long thin cut out of leftover knitted grid (for mosses). I created a semi-circle around the output of the filter. This does not disrupt flow, but keeps the plants from getting close enough to the output to be sucked under. I may be able to take a pic when I return home. I covered the grid in moss so it wouldn't stick out too bad.

UncleWillie
02-24-2010, 11:58 PM
Snagged a quick pic. The grid is about 3'' wide, allowing for water level to fluctuate. This is right after a top-off, but the moss will still grow when damp.
http://inlinethumb41.webshots.com/43176/2879711800102862620S425x425Q85.jpg

toddnbecka
02-25-2010, 05:16 AM
Doesn't the eheim have a spray bar?