Anyone got any diy ferts recipes?

Chrona
05-05-2007, 03:10 PM
Anyone got any diy ferts recipes?

For plants?

http://www.bestaquariumregulator.com/

+

http://www.rexgrigg.com/Algae1.html

(scroll down, adjust amount added accordingly depending on light/co2 levels)

genitor
05-05-2007, 04:16 PM
yeah for plants.

Good sites but i have no idea where to get those chemicals.

Chrona
05-05-2007, 06:10 PM
yeah for plants.

Good sites but i have no idea where to get those chemicals.

First website is the cheapest place to order them. They are bulk agricultural dry ferts, but that place offers them in more manageable quantities (they normally sell them in hundred lb bags, lol)

genitor
05-05-2007, 09:23 PM
First website is the cheapest place to order them. They are bulk agricultural dry ferts, but that place offers them in more manageable quantities (they normally sell them in hundred lb bags, lol)

I'm in the caribbean so that won't be available to me. I guess i will have to come up with something else.

Chrona
05-06-2007, 12:17 AM
I'm in the caribbean so that won't be available to me. I guess i will have to come up with something else.

Any laboratories around you? High school chemistry departments? KNO3 is often the sole ingredient of stump remover (found at local hardware store), but it's risky because it may contain other chemicals. I'm sure the Carribeans has a dry fertilizer distributor.

How much light do you have over the tank? Any CO2 injection? You may not need ferts period short of some Flourish.

genitor
05-06-2007, 01:46 AM
Any laboratories around you? High school chemistry departments? KNO3 is often the sole ingredient of stump remover (found at local hardware store), but it's risky because it may contain other chemicals. I'm sure the Carribeans has a dry fertilizer distributor.

How much light do you have over the tank? Any CO2 injection? You may not need ferts period short of some Flourish.

Well I'm at University so i guess the chemistry department will have these. The tank is a 15 gal. I have 35 watts of compact florescent lighting. No co2 but co2 and ferts planned. Plants right now are Vallisneria and a plant that i can't identify. Have two of these unknown plants. Vallisneria doing great but other plant grows slowly and leaves are light green. Flourish isn't in none of the lfs's. Still have a lot of fish stores i haven't checked as yet though. Will check those during summer when i have time. The unknown plants look like some sort of sword plant. All plants are potted right now in garden soil covered with gravel. Filtration is two millenium 1000's with water level up to the outlet to decrease surface agitation. Also have prefilter sponges on the intake of the filters.

Chrona
05-06-2007, 01:53 AM
Well I'm at University so i guess the chemistry department will have these. The tank is a 15 gal. I have 35 watts of compact florescent lighting. No co2 but co2 and ferts planned. Plants right now are Vallisneria and a plant that i can't identify. Have two of these unknown plants. Vallisneria doing great but other plant grows slowly and leaves are light green. Flourish isn't in none of the lfs's. Still have a lot of fish stores i haven't checked as yet though. Will check those during summer when i have time. The unknown plants look like some sort of sword plant. All plants are potted right now in garden soil covered with gravel. Filtration is two millenium 1000's with water level up to the outlet to decrease surface agitation. Also have prefilter sponges on the intake of the filters.

Sounds like a plan! 35 watts is pretty decent lighting and will save you a bit of trouble that comes with 2.5+w/g. You will definitely want CO2 though. Make sure you have enough plants to make it all worthwhile ;)

genitor
05-06-2007, 04:55 AM
I plan to get more plants and also unpot the plants i currently have, so i guess this is my project for summer.