PDA

View Full Version : Tank Setup Problems

wcw1223
02-23-2010, 06:52 PM
Hello All,

We are new to this hobby and just bought a 29G Oceanic Bio-cube. So far we must have done all of the wrong things and need help if you have the time. I used the filter and bio-balls that came with the system and the water is cloudy (chalky) and there is a green algae growing after only a little over a week. My wife is using marbles not sand or gravel could this be part of the problem ? she has 5 Gold Fish. Where can I start to correct my water problems? The other problems I am having with the tank are a loud fan on startup and some times the light fails to come on. Has anyone else experienced these problems? If so what is the best solution. Your input would greatly appreciated

Bill

annageckos
02-23-2010, 07:04 PM
Are they common or fancy goldfish? If they are common goldies you need to rehome them or get a much bigger tank or better, pond. They can get to be around a foot long. If they are fancy goldies one or two at the very most would be fully stocked. So if they are fancy goldies pick your favorite one or two and rehome the rest. I am going to assume that you tank is not cycled, read this link, it will help you out with that, http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=36492 Do you have a liquid test kit to test your water parameters? They are very important to have. You need to know what your water parameters are*ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

wcw1223
02-23-2010, 07:32 PM
Are they common or fancy goldfish? If they are common goldies you need to rehome them or get a much bigger tank or better, pond. They can get to be around a foot long. If they are fancy goldies one or two at the very most would be fully stocked. So if they are fancy goldies pick your favorite one or two and rehome the rest. I am going to assume that you tank is not cycled, read this link, it will help you out with that, http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=36492 Do you have a liquid test kit to test your water parameters? They are very important to have. You need to know what your water parameters are*ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

We have fancy goldfish so maybe we can keep at lease two of them. I have a test kit on order and it should be arriving Saturday. Do you have an opinion on the marbles versus gravel? Could they be part of the problem? I ask mainly because they don’t cover the bottom of the tank completely. Your thread was most helpful thank you for responding.

Bill

VoidParadigm
02-23-2010, 09:58 PM
Marbles vs. gravel is completely irrelevant. The only problem you'll have is that it'll get dirty underneath them faster. This isn't technically a problem if you don't mind "vacuuming" them once a week.

annageckos
02-23-2010, 10:05 PM
I personaly wouldn't use marbles but I really can't see them causing a problem with the water. You may be having a bacterial bloom if your water is cloudy. It could also just be particals in the water that havent settled/been filtered out yet.