PDA

View Full Version : housing female bettas

catch22
02-23-2010, 05:10 PM
Has anyone here tried housing multiple female bettas in an aquarium? I've been reading on it and it's possible to achieve.

http://www.healthybetta.com/keeping-female-bettas-together

rich311k
02-23-2010, 05:16 PM
Many poeple keep a bunch of girls in the same tank. Sometimes you get a grouchy one but it usually works out well.

catch22
02-23-2010, 05:26 PM
Many poeple keep a bunch of girls in the same tank. Sometimes you get a grouchy one but it usually works out well.

Good. I was thinking 3-5 in a 20 gallon long with bottom feeders and something (a few) in middle range of tank

VoidParadigm
02-23-2010, 05:37 PM
If it was me I'd do four girls, then a school of corydoras, with some red cherry shrimp for something different.

In my opinion they'd do better in a tank like that then with a school of tetras or minnows in the mid-section stirring things up. Would be very peaceful - something that helps both genders, regardless of housing.

Good luck, whatever you do!

catch22
02-23-2010, 05:54 PM
If it was me I'd do four girls, then a school of corydoras, with some red cherry shrimp for something different.

In my opinion they'd do better in a tank like that then with a school of tetras or minnows in the mid-section stirring things up. Would be very peaceful - something that helps both genders, regardless of housing.

Good luck, whatever you do!

I would think the bettas would eat the shrimp! Ghost shrimp are bigger and they eat them. I read it's a 50/50 chance.

VoidParadigm
02-23-2010, 06:00 PM
True. Bettas eat small crustaceans in the wild, afterall.

However if you planted the tank (cheap or fast growing stuff for example, guppy grass, hornwort, etc) they'd likely have enough cover to breed quite a bit - so that even if some were ate, the numbers would never really go down.

However if you could find a confirmed female and a confirmed male then you could try at least try it with the two of them, if things go well, add a couple more, let things unfold.

:shrug: Mainly suggested it to give you an interesting alternative to a mid-dweller.

Even in cichlid tanks, if you have enough cover and shrimp to start with, the colony can survive for ages.

Rue
02-23-2010, 06:04 PM
Yup...I've had 4 in a 25g...no fighting...

But I did have lots of plants, floating and planted...they were able to hide out if they wanted to.

Scrup
02-23-2010, 06:47 PM
biggest factor in keeping multiple bettas in one tank is hiding spots. If they do get into a tussel, you want the submissive one to have a place to hideout till the dust clears.

annageckos
02-23-2010, 06:57 PM
I would do more than four in the 20. 6-8 IMO would be better, with lots of plants, real or fake and things to help break up the line of sight. I have some females in my 55 and there are lots and lots of plants and some wood. They all seem to get along just fine. I haven't seen any fighting between them, just flaring and showing off. This has been anough to settle arguments. You could also do a school of some small fish that says in the middle/upper area of the tank seeing as the bettas stay at or near the bottom.

catch22
02-24-2010, 01:39 AM
I would do more than four in the 20. 6-8 IMO would be better, with lots of plants, real or fake and things to help break up the line of sight. I have some females in my 55 and there are lots and lots of plants and some wood. They all seem to get along just fine. I haven't seen any fighting between them, just flaring and showing off. This has been anough to settle arguments. You could also do a school of some small fish that says in the middle/upper area of the tank seeing as the bettas stay at or near the bottom.

How about
6 Female Bettas
10 Celestial pearl
4 Bronze Cory

VoidParadigm
02-24-2010, 01:41 AM
Do you mean celestial pearl danios? If so, that's exactly the type of mid-dweller I suggested you stay away from. They're far too active for most labyrinth fish to deal with.

And cories need schools of 6+.

catch22
02-24-2010, 01:48 AM
Do you mean celestial pearl danios? If so, that's exactly the type of mid-dweller I suggested you stay away from. They're far too active for most labyrinth fish to deal with.

And cories need schools of 6+.

yes, but I've had others say it's fine.

VoidParadigm
02-24-2010, 01:57 AM
For a tank full of a species that may or may not work - there is no gauruntee with female bettas - the tank should be as peaceful as possible. Danios are not peaceful fish - they're too hyperactive. That's all I have to say on the matter.

catch22
02-24-2010, 02:12 AM
For a tank full of a species that may or may not work - there is no gauruntee with female bettas - the tank should be as peaceful as possible. Danios are not peaceful fish - they're too hyperactive. That's all I have to say on the matter.

I see. hmmm I'll look for nonhyperactive shoalers.

EmmanuelJB
02-25-2010, 02:03 AM
In my 60 gallon I had 8 female bettas and they did fine. Once in a while they would be a little nippy, but there were no major problems.

catch22
02-25-2010, 09:36 PM
In my 60 gallon I had 8 female bettas and they did fine. Once in a while they would be a little nippy, but there were no major problems.

what other fish did you have with them?