PDA

View Full Version : Community shrimp tank?

Zilla
02-22-2010, 11:56 PM
Can it be done? More importantly, should it be done if it can be?

Irish2539
02-23-2010, 12:08 AM
Well i used to have a tank with just shrimp in it,,,,bamboo shrimp, fan shrimp, cherry shrimp, shrimps i dont know names of ect... is this what u mean by community shrimp tank?

It works... well maybe not if ya pop a long-arm shrimp in.

korith
02-23-2010, 12:11 AM
Can it be done? More importantly, should it be done if it can be?

Many types of shrimp can be kept together. One problem you will have is some shrimp will interbreed and you will lose some of their original characteristics over a few generations. Some shrimp carry the same scientific name, but different 'common' names. Red cherry shrimp for instance is just the name someone made up after having bred for that color and slowly taking the originals away from the wild strain.

http://www.planetinverts.com/Shrimp-Chart3.jpg
chart is from the following site. has great info on many types of shrimp.
http://www.planetinverts.com/Will%20These%20Shrimp%20Interbreed.html

Zilla
02-23-2010, 01:17 AM
Thanks for the info and the chart. I didn't know there were that many species of freshwater shrimp.

VoidParadigm
02-23-2010, 02:20 AM
There's even more than that, they're just not very common in the trade.

korith
02-23-2010, 02:35 AM
Thanks for the info and the chart. I didn't know there were that many species of freshwater shrimp.

Lots that aren't even on that chart. Take a look on aquabid.com and at the invertebrates there. Those blue tiger shrimp I hope to have a lot of some day.

annageckos
02-23-2010, 03:59 AM

Alot are the same species, but different color strains.

Zilla
02-23-2010, 02:35 PM
I'll have to talk with my LFS and see what they can get their hands on. They have mentioned Aquabid a few times for other reasons, but I tend to shy away from such sites. I don't even have a E-Bay account.

What I was concerned with was having shrimp doing war dances because they didn't get along. It was a stretch of a concern, but this new tank is going in my office and I want a quiet tank. Not that my 55 is chaotic or anything, but I don't want to see any fishy antics.The rest of the critters that share this space with me make enough noise and have antics of their own.

There is Schnitzel the guinea pig who boinks at me every night at 8:00 pm as that is carrot time. Zelda the yellow-footed tortoise who can make a whole lot of noise in her enclosure and Shakespeare, my black velvet chinchilla who doesn't really make alot of noise, but for the lack of noise comes alot of mess. He can fling poop and spread hay like nobodies business.

Enough blatherings. I need to empty a bookcase, and bring up a small dresser that will be acting like a tank stand. The nice thing about using a dresser means I won't have to look office supply stuff anymore. thumbs2:

korith
02-23-2010, 04:36 PM
For shrimp, the ones commonly found in the usual lfs are mostly amano, red cherry, bamboo, and ghost shrimp. Most of the harder to find ones you'll have to look online. You can usually get them at a cheaper price online too. I've gotten them from people over in the forums on plantedtank.net and people in the local fish club. Just people in the hobby, selling to others in the hobby.