PDA

View Full Version : Adding problem

chesime
02-22-2010, 05:12 AM
Maybe i just cant find the answer i am looking for, but i didnt see it on here. I am looking to add a teacup ray and want to know if thats safe with aros, koi, oscar, pleco, and crayfish. Anyone know the potential problems? The crayfish can be moved to another tank if need be.

Northernguy
02-22-2010, 05:59 AM
What is the foot print of your tank?

Crispy
02-22-2010, 07:45 AM
Maybe i just cant find the answer i am looking for, but i didnt see it on here. I am looking to add a teacup ray and want to know if thats safe with aros, koi, oscar, pleco, and crayfish. Anyone know the potential problems? The crayfish can be moved to another tank if need be.

Bioload will be a problem. Koi, oscars, and plecos all have a huge impact on the bioload. They're very messy fish... this won't be good for the ray. Crayfish would not be a good idea either. Rays and aros are fine though. You'll need a big footprint to house both longterm.

VoidParadigm
02-22-2010, 02:32 PM
If this is for the 90 gallon then my flat out answer is no, don't do it.

1) Crayfish and plecos will compete with the rays for territory, not to mention likely hurt it.

2) Your profile page says you have three koi in a 90 gallon. Unless they're moving, and moving soon, you are far too overstocked. Three koi need 2000 gallons of water.

3) An Aro is going to outgrow your tank as well in no time.

Hope you're upgrading VERY soon.
My opinion is still no, though, due to the other bottom feeders you have in there.

chesime
02-22-2010, 06:58 PM
I forgot to mention that I didn't update my profile. I only have one Koi, two aros, the oscar and the two bottom dwellers. I won't be keeping them in the 90 for too long. They'll be upgraded to another tank soon. So in this case would it be okay? Or still no? Should I sell my crayfish first?

VoidParadigm
02-22-2010, 07:01 PM
One koi will still need a thousand gallons. You might as well just sell it or donate it now while you can - as well as the crayfish.

If you're going to keep the pleco in with everybody you'll have to watch them carefully to make sure the pleco doesn't try to harm the ray and that the ray is getting enough food.

Two Aros may be highly aggressive towards each other once they're full-grown. You'll have to keep an eye out for any damage.

What size tank are you going to upgrade to?

chesime
02-22-2010, 07:23 PM
We have a 200 in mind somewhere, I don't really know where it is right now, but I was thinking of buying a 400 gallon. The Koi will be going to someone's pond if it starts getting too big in the tank. He's too small for the pond right now and I wasn't really worried about him. I wanted to dig a pond, but I never got to it.

I really appreciate everyone's posts. Thanks.

VoidParadigm
02-23-2010, 09:50 PM
As always, bigger is better, especially if you want to risk keeping the two aros together long-term.

Good luck with the tank developements.

annageckos
02-23-2010, 10:01 PM
The name 'teacup' ray can cover many species. A lot of the time any small ray is called a 'teacup'. You should really find out what species it is and research it's needs. IMO rays, even smaller species, should be housed in something the size of a kiddie pool.

Lady Hobbs
02-23-2010, 11:20 PM
I honestly don't think you want anymore fish in that tank. Even just an Oscar is not recommended in a tank less than 75 gallons. Koi are cold water fish and belong in a pond, as well.

chesime
02-24-2010, 02:39 AM
Well I really want to upgrade in the near future. So I'm trying to find one near me. It's tough here, it's so hard to find aquariusts or however hobbiest like to be called. There aren't many stores. It's really frustrating.