PDA

View Full Version : butterfly pleco needs help

nikkijo
02-21-2010, 05:08 AM
ok, i know that plecos are tropical fish and that goldfish are cold water fish to start off. i have a 55 gallon tank with one pleco and some goldfish and they do great. so 2 weeks ago i bought a butterfly pleco to add to a 30 gallon tank that also has goldfish in it, but he barley moves, and offten looks dead. like his mouth is out like he is attached to something but isn't. i was thinking about getting a heater and keeping the tank high temp for gold fish and low temp for the pleco and keeping it in the middle just havent done it yet. any ideas? i have a piece of wood in there for him and he attaches to that but doesnot move around the tank like my other pleco does. any advice would be great!! thanks

VoidParadigm
02-21-2010, 05:48 AM
Plecos are nocturnal. Are you sure he doesn't just move when the lights are out?

Get some heat in there, in any case. Warm water won't hurt goldfish so long as you have lots of aeration. A bubbler or a second filter would take care of that.

Northernguy
02-21-2010, 05:52 AM
Give it a cave of some sort to hide in as well.
What are you feeding them?Mine love spinach and cucumber.

Crispy
02-21-2010, 06:30 AM
Raise your temp for that pleco.

nikkijo
02-21-2010, 06:45 AM
thanks everyone!! ill buy a heater tomorrow. any suggestions on what kind or wattage? never used one before. ill keep an eye on him tonight when i turn the lights out and see if he moving. and i rearanged some plants and he seems to like a little low leafy bush that i placed by his log.

nikkijo
02-21-2010, 06:48 AM
oh and as far as feeding him i give him the alge wafers but i have yet seen him actually eat it witch worries me. ill also get some veggies at the store tomorrow and see if that works. i have heard you need to weigh the food down, is that right? i have some peas im gunna try right know, they are easy cuz they sink..

VoidParadigm
02-21-2010, 06:51 AM
Some people weigh them down with clips or spoons/forks. I stick mine in old jam jars big enough for the pleco to get into. The jam jar method also works decently if your goldfish won't fit in there - thus less chance it'll steal the food.

nikkijo
02-21-2010, 07:08 AM
ill probably have to try the jar idea.. a few of my goldfish are pigs... and they are very big so good idea!! thanks again!

VoidParadigm
02-21-2010, 07:11 AM
Make sure all the adhesive is off the outside of the jar first, though.

nikkijo
02-21-2010, 07:14 AM
ok, will do. i have an old canning jar that has no adhesive or anything that would be perfect size i think

VoidParadigm
02-21-2010, 07:18 AM
Fair enough. Run it under hot water for a while to make sure there's no traces of soap or anything left. If you know how to sterilize jars without breaking them by boiling that'd be even safer, and is what I do when adding any glassware to my tanks.

nikkijo
02-21-2010, 03:58 PM
well i checked on the pleco a few times last night while all the lights were off and he seemed to be moving around. i never caught him in the act, but he was on the sides of the tank witch i had never seen before. so maybe i just had to get used to him not being as active as my other pleco. thanks for all the tips!