PDA

View Full Version : Bettas with angel

Jahosacat
05-04-2007, 02:29 PM
I'm setting up a new 55 gal tank with the thought that I can put 1 angel in it when I need to move it out of a tank it's in now. I'd love to be able to put either 5+ females in the tank or a male in the tank. I've become a Betta lover - current count is 6 males - and would love to have some ladies - if it's safe with the angel.

Thanks for any thoughts!
Donna

Rue
05-04-2007, 03:34 PM
I dunno...angels are fin-nippers...but then again the female bettas don't have the long fins...but they're also not a fast fish (I have 3 in my community tank)...

Betta_noob
05-04-2007, 03:38 PM
I personally think it's a bad idea.
Keep in mind that angel fish ARE cichlids and can attack smaller fish.
Eventually when the angels get bigger they could fit the bettas in their mouths.
Not the chance I would want to take.

hungryhound
05-04-2007, 03:41 PM
I am not sure about the compatibility issues between betas and angels, but you could move all of your angels to your 55 gallon and keep the female betta in the 30 with other friendlier community fish.

Lady Hobbs
05-04-2007, 04:17 PM
It's a toss up here. Angels are very territorial and will chase and nip if others are in their space. And they will nip the fins. Angels are so darned different in personalities they're amazing! Some will allow almost anything to share their space.....others will keep tankmates jammed in a corner or chase them all day. Betta's are best kept alone IMO.

Jahosacat
05-06-2007, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the opinions. I kinda knew my ideas wouldn't work, but, I needed to read that from other more experienced fish people. I think I'm going to keep the 55 gal a community tank and keep doing research about that fish to put in it.

Donna

Lady Hobbs
05-06-2007, 07:37 PM
I doubt you'd want an angel in a community tank. I've got mine scattered about in different tanks but they get very ornery. I have them all chasing other angels as well as other fish right now and they have become a royal pain. The little sweet angels is not what you will be seeing in about 6 months.

cocoa_pleco
05-06-2007, 07:42 PM
i cant believe how things get along in my 20g planted. theres-

1 betta
2 baby angels
1 black shark
1 banded loach
1 skunk botia that ive never seen since the 1st day i bought it
1 platy
5 ghost shrimp
10 white clouds
used to have a dwarf gourami, but he mysteriously died 4 days ago
3 albino corys
1 mini tetra thingy

Everyone gets along. The betta pesters newcomers for a few hours, then just gives up. The tanks just the angels growout tank. Theyre still small

gm72
05-06-2007, 09:57 PM
Cocoa, you are a freak. And so are your fish.:hmm3grin2orange:

Rue
05-06-2007, 10:31 PM
I've had angels...in pair... in the community tank - several times...

...they were always fine...no nipping...no aggression...

...but I always tried to mix them with compatible fish...

cocoa_pleco
05-06-2007, 11:46 PM
i dont know how i end up mixing fish. First, the 20g just had the betta, white clouds, flying fox which i forgot to post, and the tetra. Somehow, the rest randomly came in, like the auratus picked on the shark, so he ended up in there, the severum went after the corys, so they went in there, and the rest is history.

I cant find that darn skunk botia. I bought him 2 weeks ago and forgot about him

gm72
05-06-2007, 11:52 PM
Yeah, don't know how you ended up with such a cool collection, but it is a cool collection. I'm jealous! Great job, man, seriously, great job.

cocoa_pleco
05-07-2007, 04:21 AM
SCORE, i found the skunk botia today!