PDA

View Full Version : Husband did a good/bad thing...

bellasly
05-04-2007, 02:14 PM
So I've been trying to cycle my tank and it was going pretty decent...I told my husband it could take a few weeks. Well, he started talking to friends and they told him he could put a fish in now. Since he works beside the aquarium place, what does he do? He brings home a betta last night. Ugh. I'm happy I have one, but now I'm going to have to do large water changes daily...
He's also one of the ugliest bettas I've seen. So ugly he's cute. He's a bi-colour crowntail, light blue with a red head and dark red fins and tail. He's got a wicked underbite which is also very crooked. So his name is Underbite.

So, how much water should I change daily? Its a 5.5g so I don't want to do 100%.

What do you recommend?

hungryhound
05-04-2007, 02:23 PM
So I've been trying to cycle my tank and it was going pretty decent...I told my husband it could take a few weeks. Well, he started talking to friends and they told him he could put a fish in now. Since he works beside the aquarium place, what does he do? He brings home a betta last night. Ugh. I'm happy I have one, but now I'm going to have to do large water changes daily...
He's also one of the ugliest bettas I've seen. So ugly he's cute. He's a bi-colour crowntail, light blue with a red head and dark red fins and tail. He's got a wicked underbite which is also very crooked. So his name is Underbite.

So, how much water should I change daily? Its a 5.5g so I don't want to do 100%.

What do you recommend?

You never want to do a 100 percent water change. The largest regular water change that is recommended is 50 percent, or 75 percent in a very drastic situation. My guess is that you will want to do anywhere from a 25 to 50 percent water change daily. The problem that you run into is that you have to walk a fine line of keeping the ammonia, and nitrite levels low enough to not harm your fish, but high enough to grow your bacteria.

I am sure someone with more exact advise will be along shortly.

Incredulous_Ed
05-04-2007, 06:07 PM
I would do 25% daily and feed very very sparsley every few days.

Rue
05-04-2007, 10:13 PM
If bettas were that susceptable to new tanks...

...none of those living in bowls would live...

bellasly
05-05-2007, 02:31 PM
Rue I never thought about that. Thats a very good point. I tested the ammonia levels yesterday and it was at 0.25 ppm, so I only did a ~15% water change. I feed him about 4 pellets in the morning for now.

On a funnier note, Underbite must really love his new home, but my husband didn't think so. I was watching TV when he came running into the room saying he thinks the fish is sick or dying because he keeps puking up bubbles. He's making a bubble nest!!! Though, try to explain that to someone who until the other day, didn't even know what a betta was...lol

SkarloeysMom
05-05-2007, 07:05 PM
That's great that your new betta is blowing bubble nests! I'm pretty sure that means he's happy too. I just moved my giant trout-sized betta :hmm3grin2orange: to a 5g from a 2.5g and he's got a bubble nest that covers one whole corner of the tank now!

I read something interesting about bubble nests last night too. Some bettas will blow bubble nests right before it rains, in response to barametric pressure changes. I thought that was pretty interesting since a lot of bubble nests lately and we've had a lot of rain lately too.

Tails
05-16-2007, 12:24 PM
Bwahahahaha puking up bubbles lololol cute!!

I put my betta in my tank a few hours after setting up the tank. I dechlorinated the water and let it filter for a few hours, then accustomed the betta to the water temp and little bits of the water for an hour and plopped him in. He's been fine and I've only done one water change (about 40-50%) which was done a week after I got him.

The amount of poop these guys give off is minimal, so unlikely the ammonia is about to shoot up. Just feed carefully (by carefully I mean dont just drop a pinch of food in, wait for him to eat each flake/pellet before putting another one in...this way, none sink to the bottom and rot).

Tails
05-16-2007, 12:26 PM
PS: thats a pretty darn cute name :P Pics please! :)

riverfish81
05-16-2007, 01:30 PM
Bettas are pretty hardy...that doesn't mean neglect them of course, lol...but they are known to survive temp variances and lack of oxygen better than other fish and him making bubble nests is a great sign. Watch, you'll get more attached to your "so ugly its cute" betta than any other one I bet, lol. I love those kind!:ezpi_wink1: