PDA

View Full Version : False zebra pleco size?

Blackmantis
02-20-2010, 02:30 PM
Hi everyone,

So I'm thinking about putting a false zebra pleco in my tank but haven't found any literature (on or off the net) on how big they get.

Does anyone know how big an adult false zebra pleco can get?

Crispy
02-20-2010, 03:40 PM
Thats a pretty broad name. I assume you're thinking of 'colombian zebra' which gets to about 4". Any chance on a pic, scientific name, or L#?

toddnbecka
02-20-2010, 05:50 PM
Most fish sold under that common name are Hypancistrus species, around 4" is the usual size. I have a stray L-129 available if you're looking for one, was putting together a breeding group early last year but some new fish brought along something that wiped out the whole bunch if them. One was in another tank, so it's still alive and well, and I have other breeding projects now.

Blackmantis
02-20-2010, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the responses.

I did return to my lfs to get a bigger filter today so I had the chance to examine their plecos. I was looking at an L-98, which grows to about 3-4".

I think I'm going to snatch one up from them (along with 1 more skunk cory) when they get more in stock this week.

Thanks for the offer, Todd, but Western MD is a bit of a drive for me.

toddnbecka
02-20-2010, 11:06 PM
I wasn't expecting you to drive, I have breather bags and heat packs for shipping. I've never seen L-98 available, how much do they sell those for?

Blackmantis
02-21-2010, 09:20 AM
Just did a google search on L-98, and it didn't correspond to the one that was in the store.

The ones I was looking at cost about $20. There was an exotic looking one that ran for $50. I'll try to snap some pics next time I'm there.