PDA

View Full Version : illegal ray??

SCcten
02-20-2010, 05:59 AM
I would love to get a freshweater ray but I live in Cali where there illegal. Is there way to own a fw ray in California or am I just out of luck?

troy
02-20-2010, 06:06 AM
If they are illegal, they are illegal. Why risk getting in trouble over something like that? But personally, I think California has way too strict of laws of what you can keep as pets. Some things make sense why you can't keep them but other do not.

SunSchein89
02-20-2010, 08:07 AM
If they are illegal, they are illegal. Why risk getting in trouble over something like that? But personally, I think California has way too strict of laws of what you can keep as pets. Some things make sense why you can't keep them but other do not.

Agreed. Many snakes included.

gm72
02-20-2010, 01:22 PM
You could own it illegally but that is strongly not advised.

We have had people come on here in the past who own illegal fish and they find themselves without help and banned if not reported.

There are so many other wonderful fish out there. Maybe we can help you pick something else that would suit you?

HeatherB
02-20-2010, 02:04 PM
Keep it on your list of 'wants' and if you someday ever move than you can get one!!! There are alot of really interesting fish you may find to tide you over until then!

SCcten
02-20-2010, 05:06 PM
Im not saying that I would smuggle an illegal fish into Cali. I understand that they are illegal because of their possible effect on the ecosystem. I was just wondering if there were any loop holes that I didnt know about (certian species of rays or if their debarbed, ect)

Northernguy
02-20-2010, 05:34 PM
Its unfortunate that some species of fish are illegal but its best to follow the laws.Its too easy to get caught even if its in your home.

AABatteries
02-21-2010, 08:16 PM
If you're a biologist doing research on them, you should be able to get a permit.

EmmanuelJB
02-21-2010, 08:25 PM
Im not sure if this applys to california, but in maine if there is a restricted species you can apply for a permit to own it. All states are different so california is probably not the same way.

sunfishman
09-22-2010, 01:22 AM
Im not sure if this applys to california, but in maine if there is a restricted species you can apply for a permit to own it. All states are different so california is probably not the same way.

wish you could do that for Asian Arros here!:hmm3grin2orange: