PDA

View Full Version : filtration rule of thumb?

gismo
02-20-2010, 05:54 AM
hi everyone, i have finally moved my fish to the 60 liter tank to free up my 8 gallon for the betta fish that ive always wanted, hooray!!!!!!!!!! ive got 1 in mind he is ab fab!!!!!!!! i have a HOB filter that does about 400 liters per hour but i have been told that betta dont like that much water current as it is fast for a small tank so my question is what is a good basic rule of thumb for the filtration needed ( im thinking of making a sponge filter) per gallon or liter, thanks for the help coz that all thats needed before i pick up my wonderful boy:hmm3grin2orange:

MCHRKiller
02-20-2010, 10:22 AM
You could just slow the flow of your HOB, put a piece of fine pore sponge over the intake of the HOB. That should put some resistance on the motor and slow its flow down. You could also take a rubber band and attach a piece of large pore sponge to the HOBs return to slow and disperse its flow back into the tank as well as pack the filter itself full of media.

rich311k
02-20-2010, 02:20 PM
I think a sponge over the input tube should do the job.

Blackmantis
02-20-2010, 02:40 PM
If you have decorations or plants that can fit in there, the current will be dispersed a bit and the betta will be able to relax.

I had 2 filters running simultaneously: Top Fin 20 (30 gph) and a Marineland Biowheel (100 gph). The current was fairly strong, but my betta used the decorations and plants to rest.

Or you could always go with the sponge idea. :c5:

Lady Hobbs
02-20-2010, 05:16 PM
If you have an air pump, you can pick up a sponge filter for a couple bucks.