PDA

View Full Version : Chesime's Journal

chesime
02-20-2010, 04:12 AM
So I decided this where I should be posting what's going on in my tanks.

Today I bought a 8" silver Arowana for $50. Pretty Decent. Now he's like the PaPa for my 4" Jardini. They're getting along too well. Suspicious. I thought that they might fight. Can't complain much can I though?

Well, anyway, the reason why I bought a silver Aro was because I lost three fish, unsure quite how... They just dissappered. Really! No lie. They weren't in the tank, I didn't take them out, and my daughter's only 2 1/2. She can't reach the tank. Period.

Who's missing? My beautiful butterfly Koi who was 9 1/2", my other Koi who was 9" and lastly, my ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS 6" Comet. The comet was originally a feeder for my Oscar, but during the Massachusetts Ice Storm, he survived and my Oscar didn't. I am sad for my fish, they must be somewhere in Fishy Heavem. I probably will be sad for a couple of months.

One Koi did survive and I call him "The Great White". He's my pig because he sucks up everything. I'm glad he's around...

Today I looked in another tank and noticed a bunch of guppy fry at the bottom. Didn't even know any of my females were ready to POP. They were all small last night and for the entire week prior. Where did these fry come from??? There are over 30! I stopped counting really, somewhere after 20.

Oscar_freak12321
02-20-2010, 04:33 AM
What is the stocking of the tank? From what I can tell, you have a jardini and silver arowana, a koi, and a bunch of guppy fry, all in one tank...

chesime
02-20-2010, 04:42 AM
Lol. I have three tanks. Only two are in use right now. One is a guppy tank for breeding fancies as feeders.

Oscar_freak12321
02-20-2010, 04:43 AM
Ah. Ok. Well, to clear up the mystery in the guppy tank a little bit; Females can store sperm from a male for up to three months if I remember correctly, and not only JUST that male. They could be popping out babies from a male they interacted with from a month ago.

Oscar_freak12321
02-20-2010, 04:44 AM
Also, what are the silver and jardini being housed in right now?

chesime
02-20-2010, 04:44 AM
But shouldn't it take about a month for the female to pop out some fry?

They're in a 90 gallon. They'll move into a bigger tank before they really NEED to be moved.

Oscar_freak12321
02-20-2010, 04:47 AM
I would believe that is correct, yes. Again though, might be a male from a while back.

chesime
02-20-2010, 05:27 AM
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b10/jaywilder/102_3214.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b10/jaywilder/102_3206.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b10/jaywilder/102_3201.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b10/jaywilder/102_3177.jpg

chesime
02-20-2010, 05:28 AM
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b10/jaywilder/102_3173.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b10/jaywilder/102_3168.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b10/jaywilder/102_3065.jpg

chesime
02-20-2010, 05:30 AM
These are a few of my babies. In this tank, I'm missing a picture of my Oscar. He was scared and he hid a lot. His color was gone in the pictures I did get of him, so it wasn't worth posting. He's really cute though. For a fish. He's friendly and likes to be petted. Again though, he was scared.

Black Water Extract made it hard for me to take pictures of them.

Crispy
02-20-2010, 03:53 PM
Nice aros. Whats their diet?

chesime
02-21-2010, 01:54 AM
They both like Krill because that's what I feed my Koi, but I mostly give the Jardini guppies, the Oscar I give Red Minnows, and the Silver eats Crickets and Comets. Of course they all eat everything, but that's what they really choose to eat.

Crispy
02-21-2010, 03:08 AM
They both like Krill because that's what I feed my Koi, but I mostly give the Jardini guppies, the Oscar I give Red Minnows, and the Silver eats Crickets and Comets. Of course they all eat everything, but that's what they really choose to eat.

Krill is good. The others are a bit lacking in nutrition IMO. Try some fresh seafood (raw shrimp, prawns, fish fillets) and gutloaded superworms (jar may be a tad small for superworms yet). Get them onto those foods now while they'll eat anything. Hikari makes some good aro sticks also.

Keeping a jar and silver together is quite rare (especially in a 90g). Good to see there is no fighting yet. Those will be some beautiful fish to watch grow together! :fish: Keep us updated.

chesime
02-21-2010, 04:37 AM
Should I change my tank to sand for now? I don't know whether it's better or not. I've never done sand, but I thought that it would look nicer and be better for the fish.

Crispy
02-21-2010, 04:42 AM
Should I change my tank to sand for now? I don't know whether it's better or not. I've never done sand, but I thought that it would look nicer and be better for the fish.

Your aros will not care either way which substrate you use. I use gravel. Changing to sand may cloud the water for a few days and stress the aros.

chesime
02-21-2010, 04:52 AM
Well, basically I've never used sand and I'm afraid that if I do, that my tank will be a mess and I won't know how to care for it anymore. :help: Personal Opinion! Should I stick with gravel? and if not, how do you even go about cleaning sand? Websites keep telling me that sand is good for fish and that they prefer it. While other websites keep telling me that it's a hassle and the fish don't even appreciate it. I just want my fish to be healthy, but be in a tank that looks goooooood.

chesime
02-21-2010, 10:06 PM
Just a little update... I've switched to sand. Next I'll go get some plants. What should I be getting for Aros', Koi, Oscar and such? Anything special? Anything I shouldn't get?

troy
02-22-2010, 12:54 AM
The koi will eat the plants.

chesime
02-22-2010, 01:40 AM
Well that sure puts a damper on things. I guess I'll just put the plants in the guppy tank.

chesime
02-22-2010, 04:55 AM
another question everybody! Can i have a teacup stingray in my tank? I saw one at the LPS and i know they're venomous/poisonous. Right? I think they're cool and could possibly keep the tank clean on the bottom. Is that an okay idea? :fish:

chesime
03-05-2010, 03:55 AM
I decided against buying any other fish or getting bigger tanks for everyone, but my aros. I think they REALLY NEED another... but anyway, if anyone could possibly let me know what is wrong with my oscar. I see he eats fine, but he lost all his color... Is it from the sand I put in? He never was so dull looking.

chesime
03-23-2010, 01:16 AM
Yay! I have seven little fry! Go GEISHA!

BIO-Linist
03-24-2010, 05:21 AM
Is the sand a very light color? Maybe your oscar is changing color to match is surroundings. does the tank have a background?

Crispy
03-24-2010, 10:45 AM
Do not add anymore fish until you have upgraded significantly. You're really pushing it as it is here with only a 90g. Those aros won't last a year in there.

Your choices of fish compared to your fishkeeping experience seems to be overwhelming. Have you got them onto other foods other than feeders?

chesime
04-05-2010, 01:05 PM
Well Geisha is a guppy and she is in a completely different tank... and I think the aros will be fine for a few more months and then we'll change.