PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow eating Oto?

seminoleranch
02-20-2010, 03:58 AM
I am in the process of up grading soon from a 55 gallon tank to a 175 bow front. Currently have Whited Clouds, Platies, Swords, couple of guppies, Oto cats and Rubber lips. I was researching other fish I could add and thought the Rainbows was very pretty. How ever when viewing a video of them on YouTube someone showed a Boeseman's eating a Oto! I understand they do have a large mouth but a narrow throat but is this normal behavior for a larger Rainbow such as these?

rich311k
02-20-2010, 04:02 AM
Mine have never bothered another fish. They play among themselves.

Oscar_freak12321
02-20-2010, 04:03 AM
Agreed, that'd be an unusual sight for a fish species such as a Boeseman's.

Zilla
02-20-2010, 03:37 PM
As bratty as mine are, the only time I've seen them actively go after another fish was when I introduced my corys. I don't know if they thought they were food or what, but they've since gotten over it. They're still plant killers though.

The water line of my tank this morning looks like it has lillypads as they trashed the Pennywort I added the other day. Do the leaves of aquatic onion plants taste like onion? Maybe they'd leave those alone as they hate veggies.

Northernguy
02-20-2010, 03:55 PM
If the oto was dead most fish would have picked at it.
Fish eat fish!lol
Weak fish are also targets to other fish and may be picked on until they die.After that its a buffet until its gone or removed.
I cannot see a rainbow attacking a healthy oto.I can see it nipping at its tail but thats about it.

seminoleranch
02-20-2010, 05:02 PM
If the oto was dead most fish would have picked at it.
Fish eat fish!lol
Weak fish are also targets to other fish and may be picked on until they die.After that its a buffet until its gone or removed.
I cannot see a rainbow attacking a healthy oto.I can see it nipping at its tail but thats about it.

I thought the same thing to be honest. I just could not see them chasing down a Oto, I have two and they can move pretty fas when they decide to :hmm3grin2orange:

If they are hard on plants I still may have to think about it. Do they do it just for the joy of doing it? I know when I had my Angels at first they where working here and there on my water wisteria as it grew (and grew and grew lol) after a while they gave up on it. It may be because I feed many small meals a day or they just got board.

Zilla
02-20-2010, 06:26 PM
Apparently it's just mine that enjoy shredding plants as everybody else here doesn't seem to have a problem with it. Why they do it? I haven't a clue. One of my females was going to town with shredding last night before I turned the tank lights off. I've asked here, I've talked to my guy at my LFS and nobody seems to know.

I enjoy a plated tank and I know they do better in a planted tank, but I have to find plants that can either readily take their abuse or find plants that grow really fast to keep up with all the abuse.

Cristoff
02-20-2010, 06:36 PM
Apparently it's just mine that enjoy shredding plants as everybody else here doesn't seem to have a problem with it. Why they do it? I haven't a clue. One of my females was going to town with shredding last night before I turned the tank lights off. I've asked here, I've talked to my guy at my LFS and nobody seems to know.

I enjoy a plated tank and I know they do better in a planted tank, but I have to find plants that can either readily take their abuse or find plants that grow really fast to keep up with all the abuse.

Yep, it's just Zilla's Rainbows that are tough on plants.:hmm3grin2orange: I have Otos and Boeseman and Dwarf Neon Rainbows together and have never seen an issue at all.

Zilla
02-20-2010, 06:48 PM
Of course. None of my other animals behave the way they should so why should my fish?

Maybe if I feed them alot and make them fat they won't bother? Nah! That would just mean more work for me then I'd feel bad for causing their poor health.

brianyu
02-20-2010, 10:38 PM
i saw a rainbow eat a cherry shrimp , so oto have the same size , then no surprise there . :hmm3grin2orange: