PDA

View Full Version : Orandas afraid of new gravel

Elly
02-20-2010, 03:09 AM
I placed a small clean plastic cup with new gravel in my orandas' 40G tank in hope of getting bacteria to help cycle a 10G tank with a pleco and a loach in it. I placed the cup in one of the corners and my orandas seem to avoid it like they were afraid of it. The gravel is blue and I rinsed and cleaned it before placing it in the tank. I have no idea why they are doing this :shrug:

Oscar_freak12321
02-20-2010, 04:36 AM
Welcome to the forum. The reason they are doing this is because, as you suspected, they are afraid of it. The cup is a foreign object in their tank, they've never seen anything like it before. Now, moving on to the next issue, what type of pleco and loach are in the 10 gallon?

Elly
02-20-2010, 05:43 AM
Thanks. My 10G has an 1 inch bushy nose pleco and a hillstream loach (lfs labeled it as a guitar pleco when I bought it :eek: ) which is a little bigger than the pleco. I got them two days ago, they aren't eating anything I put in (ie. algae wafers, zucchini).

VoidParadigm
02-21-2010, 07:09 AM
Gravel will barely help get beneficial bacteria. The best thing to do is to put a spare sponge in the larger filter then move the sponge to the other tank. It'll take a LOT more bacteria with it.

But yeah, they're likely afraid of it. Completely true.