PDA

View Full Version : I Would Have Named Her Persephae

Rhaethe
02-19-2010, 04:41 AM
I try to avoid the betta cup section of the PetSmart when I go in there. This time I didn't. I was curious to what female bettas looked like in person.

One in particular stood out. She was very pale, with two long black stripes going horizontal along her side. Even with the signs of stress, she had spunk though, or at least wasn't listless. She was very small, about the size of my sparkling gourami, maybe an inch, inch and a half. Perfectly formed streamlined fins.

I peered closer into the cup, and she turned around and flared a split second. Then she got closer and peered closer at me. She moved a bit, as if to get a better look. A very inquisitive fish.

If I'd had a place to put her, I would have bought her. And named her Persephae.

I'm still tempted. The part of me that is attempting to rationalize the decision is saying "Even a little 1,5g on your desk would be better than that old cup."

I'm not really a betta person ... but that little teeny girl was just adorable.

SunSchein89
02-19-2010, 04:53 AM
I really like my betta, never regretted getting him. He's pretty much the unofficial centerpiece fish of my 20 gal tank. I have red gravel highlighted throughout my black gravel, red/orange/white colored fish, and the rock and some of the fake plants I have have red tints. Then my betta is a nice dark blue with purples that show up at the right angles/light; he really sticks out in the tank. I swear that thing recognizes me too. Whenever I come up close to the tank he seems to swim back and forth right in the front near the ground looking at me checking me out. Maybe I'm just noticing it only when it happens, but I'd still like to think he thinks of me as a friend :ssmile: .

Here he is doin his thing...
http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/tt160/sunschein89/fish%20tank/IMG_4879.jpg
and when I first got him before his fins got a nice haircut...
http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/tt160/sunschein89/fish%20tank/IMG_4444.jpg
One picture has flash, one doesn't. Looking at him in the tank his colors really look more like the first picture. They could've gotten darker too for all I know, but I'm pretty sure it's just the flash doing that.

Rhaethe
02-19-2010, 05:01 AM
He is definitely an attractive fellow!

invadertoast
02-20-2010, 02:13 AM
You should set up a 10 gallon female betta community, they are so much fun!

cubby
02-21-2010, 02:21 AM
i just brought home female betta number two. :)

tori.lock
02-21-2010, 09:08 PM
I say you invest in a little 10 gallon sorority tank. If I had room and money I would do that, but with neither I can just live vicariously through you. She sounds like a great little fish, and bettas really are a lot of fun, although I've never owned a female.

rich311k
02-21-2010, 09:19 PM
Nothing like a little ten gallon with a betta. they are great fish.

WoadCelt
02-21-2010, 11:17 PM
I know what you mean - I'm very tempted every time I see the bettas in the pet store. I know I can't because I don't have room or money for another tank. But if you have the means and feel you have a bond with the little dudes then you definately go and get it, look after it and love it so it can have a much more enjoyable life than in the store, or being bought by someone who would not appreciate it as much. :ssmile: