PDA

View Full Version : Help with a sick multi

Cascade
02-19-2010, 01:55 AM
Last night at lights out, I noticed my alpha male multi was sitting on the bottom in the sand. Thought it was a little odd, but he looked okay, so I chalked it up as a quirk. Then today, I found him behind the rock structure on the sand, breathing heavily and looking really bad. His eyes are dark instead of bright/clear blue, and he occasionally lists to one side. I netted him out to take a better look, and I really can't identify anything obvious. Other than looking half-dead, he has no obvious signs of trauma, parasites, disease, etc.

There's another male in the tank and they have been scuffling lately, but I didn't think it would result in a death? Plus, like I said, he doesn't appear to have any trauma. It's a 75G with only 4 multies (and 1 fry), so I didn't think territory would be an issue. Also, he's the father of the fry, so I don't think he got into trouble by getting too close to the baby.

I immediately tested the water and came up with 0/0/5 and a pH of 8.3, so all is normal there. Temp is 81.

My quarantine tank is currently housing new rummy nose tetras, so I don't think he would appreciate going into that tank. I'm sort of at a loss as to what to do. I don't want him to get picked on or spread anything to the others.

Any ideas as to what I might be dealing with?? :help: Thanks!