PDA

View Full Version : too much current?

ren
05-04-2007, 01:24 AM
ok, i think you guys will be happy to know lou-cious my betta has a nice new 5g filtered heated tank with lots of plants...no more flask!thumbs2:
BUT there seems to be a bit of a current...how much is too much.:confused:
he has to swim against it, the plants dont seem to move much but there are spots where he has to swim pretty hard to get to where he's going and im afraid it might shred his fins.:help:

xoolooxunny
05-04-2007, 01:37 AM
you could try putting a nylon stocking and/or a sponge around the intake to slow the flow of the water. If it doesnt look like he's enjoying swimming in the current then I would say it's too much.

Rue
05-04-2007, 04:31 AM
YAY for the big betta tank!!!!

Do you like it?

Post a picture!

Incredulous_Ed
05-04-2007, 06:10 PM
I don't think it should be a problem. Give it some time, and he'll become a stronger swimmer. The same thing happened to my goldfish a year ago, he was getting pushed around by the current, but after a week or two the current didn't bother him.

SkarloeysMom
05-04-2007, 08:26 PM
Check your filter instructions to see if it is a variable speed model. I got a 5-gallon MiniBow that came with a Whisper filter that hangs inside the tank and it has a speed switch on the back that I didn't notice when I set up the tank. It was on high speed when I got it so I turned it all the way down and i think my Betta likes it much better that way. On high he used to get washed away by the current whenever he swam too close but on low its no problem.

cocoa_pleco
05-04-2007, 10:00 PM
I don't think it should be a problem. Give it some time, and he'll become a stronger swimmer. The same thing happened to my goldfish a year ago, he was getting pushed around by the current, but after a week or two the current didn't bother him.

My aulonocara albino was the same. He couldnt fight the current at first, but then he built up muscle and easily fought it

Tails
05-16-2007, 12:06 PM
Some betta's actually enjoy current, some dont :) I would see if there is a flow control switch (my HOB has one which helped) and adjust it til he doesnt look like he's struggling :)