PDA

View Full Version : At All Practical?

VoidParadigm
02-19-2010, 12:01 AM
I know that for reptiles a lot of people use frozen rodents.

Would it be at all practical to use stuff like frozen guppies/goldfish for predators?

I imagine you'd obviously first have to ease most predators onto dead food, and some people don't like euthanizing fish artificially.

Just wondering if it would be practical in ways of keeping nutritional value or for people who don't like seeing live fish being chased.

If it's practical and the person has no moral issues with it, you could freeze entire batches of feeders, and wouldn't have to worry about your stock contracting a disease.

Just a thought that crossed my mind, that I was curious about.

Crispy
02-19-2010, 12:16 AM
It would work. I use whole frozen smelt and rainbow trout fillets to feed my arowana. I wouldn't use goldfish though, chop up some market shrimp, prawns, or fillets I mentioned for better nutrition.

Northernguy
02-19-2010, 12:22 AM
Thats a good idea Crispy!
I am looking forward to going fishing this year.May as well bring home some fish food!lol

annageckos
02-19-2010, 12:22 AM
As long as the fish will take dead prey it will be fine. But a better option is to use a variety of fish, shrimp and other crustatans from the gorcery store. Salmon, catfish, smelt, cod, trout, clams, mussles, shrimp... And on and on. I have a great asian market by me that I can get all kinds of odd things for a good price. And I do get things for my community fish too. Just chopped up finely.

VoidParadigm
02-19-2010, 12:25 AM
Fair enough. Just used the example of guppies and goldfish because it's a common junk feeder. Not to mention guppies are easily bred - so, was offering that as an example for something you might keep a breeding tank for, which you could then remove adults from to freeze, getting rid of some of the risk of disease.

Granted though, now that I think of it, most people do keep a tank like that specifically because they want to feed live food. lol.

In any case, good to know you can just feed fillets to predators! Could come in handy in the future. Would, as stated, also help the variety.

HeatherB
02-19-2010, 01:26 AM
Fillets, good idea. You can stop in at Costco Friday night, pick up a steak for you and a nice salmon filet for Scales the Pacu.

VoidParadigm
02-19-2010, 03:48 PM
Fair enough.
Thanks for the input, everyone.

Now at least I have some extra information to put away for whenever I can finally set up my dream predator tank!
Guppies and goldfish are nice, but c'mon, let's face it... Predators are just cool. :hmm3grin2orange: