PDA

View Full Version : Reticulated ray tank ideas

fishduded82
02-18-2010, 10:27 PM
I know reticulated stingrays have a reputation of being an advanced ray because they can be hard to get to eat, but I'd like to give it a shot!

What does everyone think of having reticulated stingrays in a 48x48x17 tank, roughly 170 gallons? Will a tank that size support only 1 ray or possibly more?

or...

Will a 36x36x16 (90 gallons) support a single ray?

My plan is to keep it as a species only show tank with a sand substrate. Any opinions or ideas are appreciated. Thanks!

Crispy
02-18-2010, 10:38 PM
Both of those tank footprints look good. The 48x48 would be best. I want my next tank to be rays and discus hopefully. :ssmile:

VoidParadigm
02-18-2010, 10:44 PM
Bigger is always better with rays since they like huge footprints. Go with the biggest footprint you can afford/have room for.

In my opinion custom built pools are really the best for rays, but that's obviously not an option for everyone.

I'd buy the bigger tank, and start with one ray. After a couple months if it's still healthy and you feel you can keep rays successfully maybe add a second.
Not sure on the stocking, but regardless, think you should wait before considering a second one in any case.

MCHRKiller
02-18-2010, 11:50 PM
Rays arnt hard to keep even retics, provide them with a clean well filtered aquarium, a substrate that is safe for soft bellied animals(Caribsea Torpedo Beach Sand is a great choice). Diet is the biggest concern with rays, you will need live worms to start them on, eventually they will get to where they will accept dead food. Hikari massivore and chopped seafood is great for them. I would go with the 4ft*4ft. In a tank like that you could keep up to 3 rays IMO. Retics arnt huge rays but they still get a 12" disk and are fairly active.

fishduded82
02-19-2010, 02:46 AM
If we went with the 4x4 tank and 2-3 rays should we go 1 male 2 females? Or is it better to go with just one pair?

MCHRKiller
02-19-2010, 02:51 AM
In that case just do the pair, most people just get a small group of juvies and let them form their own pair...hence the 3 previously recommended.

fishduded82
02-19-2010, 02:53 AM
Gotcha, thanks!