PDA

View Full Version : Getting Started with a 29 gallon tank

D_Ahumada
02-18-2010, 07:58 PM
So I have just got another 29 Gallon tank, I started getting it set up for FW, ( had substrate in, and started cycling, using a filter pad pulled from my other tank, in one of my two slots) Well after talking it out with the others in the house I've decided I'll do what I've wanted to for a while and set it up as Saltwater. Well, what do I need to do differently to do that? What do I need?

I've heard yes and no on Protein skimmers.

I've heard 2-4 Lbs. of live rock/Gallon.

I've also heard anything from 1 to 6 inches of livesand?

As to the set-up of the life rock. I know it's personal preference on appearance, but are there some important guidelines, such as swim space around the structure?

I spoke with a very helpful person at the local P.C., but I'm touch and go on their advice, so I'm on here for all you helpful people.

If it matters, I'm a big fan of inverts, and proiferia, sponges starfish and the like. I haven't looked at specific fish yet, but I'd love advice on fish that would work well in that small of a tank.

Thank you all for all of the wonderful advice you always give me.

souly
02-18-2010, 08:20 PM
Setting up a 29g saltwater tank will be very hard to maintain. If your going to try and make it a reef tank, with corals etc. You'll need certain type of lighting? It really depends on what you want to do with it. You can make it Fish only, Fish with life rock, or corals. Best to decide what you want first.

If you not going to be doing a sump, You'll need to get a hang on Protein Skimmer.

D_Ahumada
02-18-2010, 10:01 PM
I was really hoping I could get it set up as a reef tank with corals, inverts and fish. I realized that I'd need special lighting, and I'd be very open to suggestions on what works best. I hear that it depends on the kind of coral, that there is somewhat of a range of higher and lower light corals?

D_Ahumada
02-18-2010, 10:09 PM
I was really hoping I could get it set up as a reef tank with coral. I realized that I'd need special lighting, and I'd be very open to suggestions on what works best. I hear that it depends on the kind of coral, that there is somewhat of a range of higher and lower light corals?

labnjab
02-19-2010, 12:30 PM
29 gallon was the size of my first 2 reefs. You'll need to do a lot of research before hand, but I'll give you a break down of what you'll need

1. One to one and a half pounds of live rock. For a 29 gallon I would get at least 35 to 40 lbs. I had 50 and still had plenty of room.
3. Sand is a personal preference and also depends on stocking. I would have no more then 3 inches in a 29 gallon. I highly recomend using argonite sand. It will help buffer ph and help avoid algae problems
2. You need flow. I used 2 koralia 2 powerheads. You can start will 1 koralia 2 and add more if you need more. That all depends on what type of coral you plan on having
3. A decent skimmer. I used a coralife 65. It wasn't the greatest but it was far from the worse. It can be mounted HOB or in sump. Others will chime in on other good skimmers
4. You'll need a good heater
5. Lighting depends on what you want for coral. If your doing softies, lps, and a lower light sps a 4 bulb t-5 fixture will work great. Look for one with individual reflectors. You won't find a 30 inch fixture but a 36 with adjustable legs will work good. If you want all sps I would look into a metal halide fixture
6. You'll need a saltmix- I use instant ocean and have used it for well over a year, some people love it, some hate it. Others will chime in on what they like. You should mix it a day or so in advance
7. An ro/di source. I have an ro/di system myself. You can also buy ro/di from the LFS or walmart. Its the walmart brand, green capped bottle.
8. A hydrometer or refractometer. Refractometer is best and much more accurate.
9. Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, alkilinity, magnessium, High range PH, and calcium test kits. These will be enough to get you started but you may want more down the road
10. 1 last thing, some type of phosphate remover. GFO in a reactor works best, but other products are good too. You don't need this right away but I would look into it

This should be enough to get you started. If you want a sump you'll need a few more items as well. I probably forgot something and you may need more things as you go along. Just keep in mind its gonna be expensive. Also, don't buy cheap equipment. It will cost you more in the long run. You don't have to get the best but don't get the cheapest

coachfraley
02-19-2010, 04:22 PM
Great list Labnjab!

One nice thing about a 29g, is that the tank is small enough to run with all HOB equipment. If you go any bigger, you pretty much have to set up a sump to house the larger equipment (although I have heard of some folks running 40B's sumpless). I personally would also add an HOB refugium to your equipment list. You won't need one right away, but it will be very helpful down the road.

Your best friend/worst enemy with a 29g is going to be your weekly water changes. You will REALLY need to be on top of them, or your water quality will go down hill fast.

Good luck!