PDA

View Full Version : why did my fish die?

dee-bee
02-17-2010, 04:34 PM
I lost 3 large ghost kois this winter.we had ice on it though for a month without thawing.It is large ,at least 3 feet deep.Was it just too cold or did they suffocate from lack of air.?:help:

Northernguy
02-17-2010, 05:54 PM
Welcome to the Fabulous AC!
Your thread was moved into the Coldwater fish section.You will get more replies here.
We need a bit more info but it does sound like lack of air.
If there wasn't any hole for gases to escape its a good possibility.Your pond may not have been deep enough either.

Don't forget to go introduce yourself.:19:

Lady Hobbs
02-17-2010, 08:15 PM
I would think they probably were unable to come to the surface for oxygen. I believe a pond should have an opening it in somewhere. Your pond should have a heater, pump, waterfall or some way for water to move about and not freeze solid.

smaug
02-17-2010, 10:20 PM
If it was iced over for more then a week,they died from suffocation.All that is needed to allow pond fish to live through the winter is an air exchange hole.THat can be accomplished through the use of a dedicated hole forming heater or the use of a pump to keep the water moving.Sorry about your loss.Koi are a terrible thing to lose.Give us more specifics about your pond please.