PDA

View Full Version : Help!

chesime
02-17-2010, 03:29 PM
My snowball pleco was in my 30 gallon tank and I added aquarium salt for my guppies, because I forgot he was there I'm now worried that he might get sick or die. Can someone let me know if I should immediately remove him and what I should do to help him!!!!! I know regular plecos would be fine, but because he was more expensive I don't want anything to go wrong. Yes, I am a panicky person.

rich311k
02-17-2010, 03:42 PM
How much salt did you add?

Why is another question. but I know people say add salt with common live bearers. It is not needed. They like hard water not salty water and they will adjust to most any water.

You can reduce the concentration through water changes. You need to go slowly when adding or removing salt.

Removing him an putting him in another tank will shock him more than he already is. A small bit will not kill him, just dont do it any more.

Northernguy
02-17-2010, 03:43 PM
Plecos do not appreciate salt!
The guppies do not need it either unless they are ill.
Do a large water change daily for a few days to get the salt out.Make sure you vacuum.
http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=204

annageckos
02-17-2010, 03:45 PM
Just do water changes. Try 20% every day/everyother day. Like Rich already said, livebearers do not need salt. They perfer harder water.

chesime
02-17-2010, 07:54 PM
I only added about a tablespoon per 10 gallons. I'll try vacuuming them up tomorrow. I read so many books and websites that said I should add salt. Thanks everyone again for the help. Oh and thanks for the link!

chesime
02-23-2010, 03:07 AM
What exactly should I be feeding him? He won't eat wafers or cucumbers obviously... it's only in there for the guppies anyway... but the tank is so clean there's nothing to eat. What should I be doing for him? Not a lot of sites are helpful because I tried giving him different things. Even sinking pellets.

frank_zappa
02-23-2010, 06:00 PM
your pleco needs wood in its diet, so be sure you have a piece of driftwood. i feed my plecos a lot of different things: algae wafers, zucchini, cucumber, melon, all sorts of things. i also have a product by sera called catfish chips...those are made with alder wood in them. mine love all those things

chesime
02-23-2010, 08:27 PM
Well I have a huge piece of driftwood. Even still, he wont eat.

frank_zappa
02-23-2010, 09:31 PM
can you post a photo of him? does he look healthy? maybe he is finding enough for now and you just dont realize it...still, you should keep trying with different veggies here and there. i think eventually he will figure out what to do with them. it will help to put the food out at lights out; i stick a fork in whatever it is and place it on the bottom in a spot i think mine will be comfortable, right outside his little cave area...he does damage to zucc, and he really liked watermelon

chesime
02-24-2010, 02:42 AM
I tried that last night with a cucumber and a chopstick as a weight. thumbs2: Way to be Asian right? He does seem healthy, but I worry a lot. Thanks I'll try the different veggies.

chesime
02-24-2010, 02:44 AM
BTW, IMO everyone on this forum is awesome. I've never met so many people who are so helpful! I just wanted to say thank you. Yes, I am a dork, but I am learning.