PDA

View Full Version : Is it at all possible for a dwarf gourami to live with a male betta? (46 Gallon)

EmmanuelJB
02-17-2010, 04:38 AM
I fell in love with this HUGE male betta at PETCO, and I really wanted him but I didn't get him becuse I have bettas in all of my tanks except for my 46 gallon. I just got the dwarf gourami a few days ago so he hasn't really established his territory so I was thinking maybe a betta would possibly work. Anyway, if that betta is still there would it be possible to put him in my 46 gallon? If it matters the betta is the size of the dwarf gourami. Another reason I wanted to get the betta because I felt bad for him. He could barley move in the cup he was sooo big.

EmmanuelJB
02-17-2010, 04:45 AM
OOPPS! The title is supose to be betta not better lol! Is there anyway I can fix the title? Can an Adminstrator?

Northernguy
02-17-2010, 05:24 AM
I do not suggest trying it.You will most likely have problems.
Nothing may happen right away but chances are it will.You might wake up to tragedy one day.
Ther,its all betta now!:hmm3grin2orange: :14:

HeatherB
02-17-2010, 11:26 AM
I dunno. Mine's working out well so far. If not, you can always buy another tank! hahaha

VoidParadigm
02-17-2010, 02:47 PM
If you're really in love with him why not buy a little 5 gallon for him? :hmm3grin2orange: C'mon, just embrace multiple tank syndrome. It's for the best! You KNOW you're going to get another tank someday! =P

EmmanuelJB
02-17-2010, 03:34 PM
If you're really in love with him why not buy a little 5 gallon for him? :hmm3grin2orange: C'mon, just embrace multiple tank syndrome. It's for the best! You KNOW you're going to get another tank someday! =P
Well I REALLY wish I could set up a 10 gallon planted with some glowlight tetras and some corrys with that betta in there but I can't. I am already setting up a 10 gallon nano reef and just don't have to room. I wish I would get a VERRY strong shelf system that I could but like five, 10 gallon tanks on. But even then I have to worry about outlets. In my room alone every single outlet has those extender things with 5 more outlets on them filled with tings from all of my aquariums, not to mention a tv and computer which take up alot of outlets! I can't even put him in my quarntine tank, it has a male betta in it lol!

VoidParadigm
02-17-2010, 03:35 PM
Could always try to exchange the Dwarf for him. A Dwarf Gourami would lead a better life in a petstore than a Betta, usually, afterall.

annageckos
02-17-2010, 03:39 PM
I have done it in the past and it worked out for me. But it is really a case by case thing. Some are fine, some aren't. If you do want to try it make sure to have a back up tank just incase. Good luck.

EmmanuelJB
02-17-2010, 03:43 PM
Ugghh.... I don't know what Im going to do. I really wanted to set up the reef tank because it was somthing new but a planted tank would be somthing new for me. Also I havn't even bought many supplies for the reef yet... I
don't know. I think I would rather have a reef tank though.

Tamara
02-18-2010, 02:30 AM
i'm not up to date on my fish pal chart but i think i recall bettas and tetras aren't a good combo either. =/

VoidParadigm
02-18-2010, 02:32 AM
Bettas and the more aggressive tetras are the ones that aren't good combos. Depends on the species. Some nip fins, some don't.

HeatherB
02-18-2010, 02:44 AM
Well, you could always set up the 10 with the betta you like, and then you can slowly, as money and sales allow add to your reef supplies. Then when y0u have EVERYTHING you need, maybe your stocking will be diffrent somewhere and you can rearrange fishes! You could always try it. Then if it doesn't work you can set up the said 10 for him.

Oscar_freak12321
02-18-2010, 02:47 AM
I think it could work, just as long as you had a backup if it doesn't work out. i.e. Another tank or fish owner for one of them to go to.

Red
02-18-2010, 03:56 AM
Agreed with oscar, its a pretty big tank and I think it can work, but hey what do I know.
I also have kept bettas with tetras.

bocrayfish
02-18-2010, 05:18 AM
you should try it and put give the fish back if it doesn't work out just watch carefully!

EmmanuelJB
02-18-2010, 05:21 AM
... I don't think im gonna try it but you never know.