PDA

View Full Version : Flourish liquid?

frizzlefish
05-03-2007, 06:54 PM
Can anyone tell me more about Flourish? I've been searching but I can't seem to find what I'm trying to figure out.

First, I have no clue what type of lightbulbs I have - they came with the tank hood.

Second, I have a thin sand layer, then the delightful mix of clown puke and beige gravel but nothing else for a substrate for plants.

Third, I have some java fern, some corkscrew vals, and about 4-5 other types of plants that I have no clue the name of (If I take 3 seconds to research it, I'll let you know.....). Basically a mix of things that I'm hoping will grow in my tank conditions. I'm just waiting them out to see which do best.

Would it be wise to suppliment with the Flourish liquid? If I do, does that do anything to the general conditions of the tank? - meaning will it get cloudy? will I get some/more algae? will it harm my fish?

Thanks in advance

xoolooxunny
05-03-2007, 07:04 PM
With regular water changes and proper dosing, flourish wont cloud your tank or grow algae. however, your plants probably dont need it, since your lighting is standard and you have no co2. With higher lighting and injected co2, the plants need supplemental fertilizers to grow the best they can, but in your case, i dont think it is necessary.

How big is your tank? does the bulb give a watt number? most likely, if it came with the hood, its only good for things like java fern, java moss and anubias nana. If you want to jump into the realm of planted tanks, there's some hw to be done. I've had mine for about 9 months now, and I am still learning more each day. Chrona is the planted tank expert on this forum, however, so lets wait and see what he has to say about the flourish in your conditions.

frizzlefish
05-03-2007, 07:17 PM
It's a 60g, 24"tall, 12"deep, 48"long

Here's the plants I have (I think) anubas nana, java fern, cabomba, rotala, ludwigia, ambulia......

xoolooxunny
05-03-2007, 07:30 PM
Those plants should be ok. The anubias nana and java fern will definitely benefit from added ferts then. Dont plant those two under the gravel, they like water flow around the rhizomes. Put them on some driftwood or a rock, or just place them on top of the substrate. I'm curious to see how the rotala does, did you figure out what your lighting is yet? At least the wattage?

hungryhound
05-03-2007, 09:39 PM
With your low light, as long as you do not over do it you should be fine. I would only do the recommended does of 5 mL (1 cap ful) every week or two. As xoolooxunny said you do not need to add much with low light and no co2.

You may want to invest in some flourish tabs to put under your root feeding plants like the vals as well. This might help them grow in your low light environment.

Chrona
05-03-2007, 10:54 PM
Flourish supplements trace and iron for the most part, though it also contains some macro nutrients. It does not cause algae or cloudy water or harm fish. In low light tanks, regular water changes will provide enough trace, but as you don't have an iron rich substrate, I'd recommend you use it just for that.

What's the wattage on those light bulbs? I'm assuming they are fluorescent tubes, right?

Lady Hobbs
05-03-2007, 10:55 PM
I took a big risk today by buying the Jobes plant spikes and hoping I don't fall on my face with thise. I just broke off tiny pieces and used them. Too afraid to try any more. The box said 4% phosphates and I know that's what we have to watch the most for algae. My 29 gallon is 30 watts and CO2.

I went to Home Depot today to try to find a shop lite, 30 inches long with a higher watt bulb. No way. They carry nothing close, they said. They had a light stated "good for planted fish tanks" but it was only 18 watt. It looks like an under- the- cabinet- light more than a shop light.

Chrona
05-03-2007, 11:31 PM
I took a big risk today by buying the Jobes plant spikes and hoping I don't fall on my face with thise. I just broke off tiny pieces and used them. Too afraid to try any more. The box said 4% phosphates and I know that's what we have to watch the most for algae. My 29 gallon is 30 watts and CO2.

I went to Home Depot today to try to find a shop lite, 30 inches long with a higher watt bulb. No way. They carry nothing close, they said. They had a light stated "good for planted fish tanks" but it was only 18 watt. It looks like an under- the- cabinet- light more than a shop light.

Jobes spikes are fine. You just need to make absolutely sure they stay deep in the substrate.

And yes, wattages are fixed for a given length of tube. The normal T-12 (shoplight) tubes you see in home fixtures are really not well-suited for aquarium use because the light they put out is not very intense. I would imagine the 18 watter is a T-8 (narrower) which is the standard for aquariums, being a bit brighter for a given wattage. T-5's are the next step up, and with good reflectors, are basically just as bright as metal halide lights.

frizzlefish
05-04-2007, 10:34 AM
Bulb says -

Eclipse
natural daylight
F15T8 18"
made in Germany for Marineland

That's it, hmmm, not much info there really.

Chrona
05-04-2007, 04:43 PM
Bulb says -

Eclipse
natural daylight
F15T8 18"
made in Germany for Marineland

That's it, hmmm, not much info there really.

T-8 - the standard diameter for aquarium lighting. Puts out brighter lighting than say, T-12 (shoplights)

F15 - means it's 15 watts, which is the standard wattage for a 18" bulb or a 20" fixture.

How many bulbs are there?

frizzlefish
05-04-2007, 07:38 PM
T-8 - the standard diameter for aquarium lighting. Puts out brighter lighting than say, T-12 (shoplights)

F15 - means it's 15 watts, which is the standard wattage for a 18" bulb or a 20" fixture.

How many bulbs are there?

One over each side so 2 total.

hungryhound
05-04-2007, 07:51 PM
One over each side so 2 total.

at .5 watts per gallon you are going to have some trouble growing the vals and the other plants that you cannot name. If there is enough light coming into the tank form the room you may be fine, but I would not invest much in more plants (besides java fern and anubis) unless you want to upgrade your lighting. Otherwise you are going to be throwing your money away.

but it is amazing what you can do with low light plants as well.

Chrona
05-04-2007, 08:03 PM
at .5 watts per gallon you are going to have some trouble growing the vals and the other plants that you cannot name. If there is enough light coming into the tank form the room you may be fine, but I would not invest much in more plants (besides java fern and anubis) unless you want to upgrade your lighting. Otherwise you are going to be throwing your money away.

but it is amazing what you can do with low light plants as well.

Indeed, a tankful of java fern and mosses look really nice :thumb:

frizzlefish
05-04-2007, 08:14 PM
Ah I see. Well, the tank is in a corner, between 2 windows. It get a fair amount of daylight but not direct sunlight.

If I were to upgrade the lighting - what should I look for?

hungryhound
05-04-2007, 08:24 PM
Ah I see. Well, the tank is in a corner, between 2 windows. It get a fair amount of daylight but not direct sunlight.

If I were to upgrade the lighting - what should I look for?

First off I would set a budget. because it can get expensive very quickly. Keep in mind that you have to keep Lighting, CO2 and nutrients in balance, so as you increase one you have to increase the other.

Personnaly I have way to much light on my tank. I am sitting about 4 watts per gallon and I think that I am going to have to invest in a pressurized CO2 system in order to get my plants to take advantage of all of the light and not have algae out of my ....

What light you should get will depend on what plants you want to grow. As a general rule you can grow most plants with 1.5 to 2 watts per gallon. Over 3 to 4 will allow you to grow most anything, but will also require the use of CO2.

Specifically i would look for compact fluorescent bulbs that emit light at the 10,000 K range. I would not get acitinic lights as your sole light as it only emits light in the 6,000 K range (blue scale) which cannot be used by over 60 percent of your plants photosynthetic cells.

As to what light specifically I do not know.

Chrona
05-04-2007, 08:31 PM
Low budget - Just use the current lights

Medium budget - 125
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=9871&N=2004+113345

Big budget - 250 http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=13733&N=2004+113345

Ideal - 400
http://www.specialty-lights.com/teklightaqua.html

As hungryhound said though, higher light will require CO2. In the case of a 60g tank, you will need CO2 at about 2-2.5 watt/g of lighting. The w/g really is not all that accurate though, as it depends on the type of lighting used, the particular tank dimensions, reflector shape, brand, ballast, etc. For a 60g tank, DIY Yeast CO2 is really not practical, so a pressurized system would be another 150 or so. If you are not ready to put down this kind of money, then the tank lights you have now should be able to grow mosses/java fern/anubias (albeit slowly) The most important thing is to set that budget, heh.

hungryhound
05-04-2007, 08:39 PM
Yeast CO2 is really not practical, so a pressurized system would be another 150 or so. I.

So do you want to tell me where i can get this mythical pressurized system for 150?

I am assuming that you mean bare bones. Is that using just a Milwaukee regulator, needle valve and buying a tank?

Chrona
05-04-2007, 08:45 PM
So do you want to tell me where i can get this mythical pressurized system for 150?

I am assuming that you mean bare bones. Is that using just a Milwaukee regulator, needle valve and buying a tank?

The 150 doesn't include the tank unless you buy a used regulator or a really cheap one, sorry, should have mentioned that. People usually go to a local brewery or propane station or something for the tank. The tank is something like 60-75 bucks, or you can rent it for cheaper.

Supposedly, these are some of the best regulators you can get.

http://www.bestaquariumregulator.com/

Or you could save some money with:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=9895&N=2004+113779
+
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=15525&Ntt=needle%20valve&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&pc=1&N=0&Nty=1

But the Rex one is 20 bucks more and includes shipping.

hungryhound
05-04-2007, 08:48 PM
Thank you Thank you Chrona. you have just solved one of my problems. I have this light from link 2.

http://a1272.g.akamai.net/7/1272/1121/20050927213842/www.drsfostersmith.com/images/Categoryimages/larger/lg_rd_21150_V.jpg

But I do not have the clear plastic feet to raise it up and it does not sit right on my aquarium. Now All i need to do is order them as a replacement part and I will able to raise my light up and it will not be sitting at an angle or heating up my glass cover.

Thank you.

Chrona
05-05-2007, 12:00 AM
Thank you Thank you Chrona. you have just solved one of my problems. I have this light from link 2.

http://a1272.g.akamai.net/7/1272/1121/20050927213842/www.drsfostersmith.com/images/Categoryimages/larger/lg_rd_21150_V.jpg

But I do not have the clear plastic feet to raise it up and it does not sit right on my aquarium. Now All i need to do is order them as a replacement part and I will able to raise my light up and it will not be sitting at an angle or heating up my glass cover.

Thank you.

NP. I like the black legs better actually. Or if you don't use a glas cover, then the adjustable ones are really solid :)

hungryhound
05-05-2007, 03:00 AM
It looks like rex has redone his site in the last week. He is where I am thinking about buying mine.

I agree the black legs look a whole lot better, I had not found them before my origional post but I think that is the way to go.

THe biggest problem that I have is that the light is just a hair short to sit on the top of the tank so one end has to sit on the glass cover. This means that there is not as much air cirulation on the one side and the cooling fan constantly runs on that side. It is always nice to find a cheap and easy fix. thank you