PDA

View Full Version : Do Small Self-Contained Filters/Aerators for Fishbowls Exist?

jeffnyc
05-03-2007, 06:38 PM
Hello!

I would like to have a large fish bowl or cylindrical vase (really large) on my dining room table... very modern, very clean looking.

I don't want to have wires or tubes (etc.) attached to the tank.

I haven't been able to find an undergravel filter/aerator that is battery operated or self-contained (no power cords).

I won't keep a goldfish in a stagnant tank. I think it's cruel. Does anyone have any suggestions or know of self-contained, filter/aeraots?

Thank you!
Jeff

xoolooxunny
05-03-2007, 07:16 PM
Battery powered air pumps exist, but i doubt water filters do. Never saw them/cant find them. in that case you can use a sponge filter on the end of the tubing for the air pump, and just keep up on water changes. Shouldn't be to difficult since it's going to be room temp. Just leave some gallon jugs with treated water in them in the closet and change some water once or twice a week.

gm72
05-03-2007, 11:19 PM
To keep just one goldfish happy you'll need a "large fish bowl or cylindrical vase (really large)" of about 20 gallons. Remember that goldfish are very dirty fish and therefore need a lot of filtration.

Chrona
05-03-2007, 11:33 PM
A battery powered, self contained filter (if one existed) would be much too bulky for your purposes anyways. And as mentioned, goldfish get to be 6+ inches and require 20+ gallons and heavy filtration.

gm72
05-03-2007, 11:41 PM
...so basically we're saying great concept, but impossible to implement properly. What about a betta? That would be really cool!

kenyth
05-07-2007, 08:45 PM
The "Betta Vase" and fishbowls are terrible inventions IMHO. Even worse than the "Micro-aquariums". At least the tiny aquariums have the barest of essentials. Fish are animals, not decorations. They should be treated as such. They sell aquariums meant for many spots in the home. You should be able to find a nice 10-20 gallon setup that meets with your needs.

gm72
05-07-2007, 09:41 PM
kenyth, agreed, but he said he wanted a large fishbowl/cylindrical vase. Not sure what else anyone could get away with putting any fish in such a receptacle.

kenyth
05-09-2007, 02:44 PM
I know. A betta is the fish for this kind of project, but I just don't like encouraging it. Fish and owners are both much happier in the end with a real aquarium.

gm72
05-10-2007, 12:16 AM
Hey, totally agreed. Just like you though, not sure what else he could go with. Honestly, jeffnyc, you would be better off getting an aquarium.