PDA

View Full Version : Ghost Shrimp and Betta in a 1 Gallon

The Curious
02-16-2010, 04:10 PM
Hello AC. I just got ahold of a cool lil 1 gallon cylindar from my parents house and I have it set up with cycled water from my guppy tank. It contains 2 ghost shrimp, a small heater, a piece of driftwood, a good amount of willow moss, and a single shoot of anacharis. I am planning on getting a crown-tail betta from the ol' LFS in the next week or so to occupy the tank.

My question is how many ghost shrimp would be a good amount for this size tank with a betta as a tankmate? I was thinking about either having 6 or a dozen ghosts, but I wanted to get some additional input.

I've not kept shrimp before this last month, so I don't know too much concerning how many of them to get. As a rule of thumb, how many would be acceptable per gallon in a tank? Or is this a stupid question considering how little ammonia they produce?

Thanks for the advice guys.

Neon
02-16-2010, 04:37 PM
I think 1 gal is too small for a betta....Frankly I think 1 G to be too small for any fish ....

rich311k
02-16-2010, 04:59 PM
I agree with neon, that tank is not appropriate for a betta. You could do 5 shrimp or more if you want.

korith
02-16-2010, 05:08 PM
1g is small especially once everything else gets put in it, something a bit bigger would better. For the shrimp they really have very little bioload so hard to overstock them, but 5-10 should be fine. Since you're in georgia, you can pick up a ghost shrimp 10 or 15 for a $1-2 at most pet supermarkets. They are sold as feeder shrimp.

The ghost shrimp may or may not survive in that tank, will depend on the temperament of the betta. I had a betta that lived in a 20 long with a 2 dozen or so ghost shrimp for a few months peacefully, then out of the blue there was a ghost shrimp massacre, all of them got taken out by the betta in a few days.

The Curious
02-16-2010, 06:03 PM
OK...so if I do not get a betta could I put like 20 Ghost Shrimp in there?

Yeah my LFS sells em for 20 cents a pop...not too bad.

I just wanted to set-up some sort of cool lil nano tank and I thought this would be a good starter for that.

Any Ideas concerning a nano tank without fish?

On another note, could this lil one gallon support salt with a piece of live rock and some sort of coral instead of freshwater?

korith
02-16-2010, 11:12 PM
OK...so if I do not get a betta could I put like 20 Ghost Shrimp in there?

Yeah my LFS sells em for 20 cents a pop...not too bad.

I just wanted to set-up some sort of cool lil nano tank and I thought this would be a good starter for that.

Any Ideas concerning a nano tank without fish?

On another note, could this lil one gallon support salt with a piece of live rock and some sort of coral instead of freshwater?

The ghost shrimp by themselves should be fine, 20 might be a bit too much for that small a space though. Could even try red cherry shrimp, they are smaller than the ghost shrimp. Also the red cherry shrimp will breed and the baby shrimp are just miniature versions of the adults. Low maintenance too.

No idea on the sw, usually they require more water to do stuff.

VoidParadigm
02-17-2010, 12:07 AM
Does it have a filter? All you disclosed was a heater.
Cycled water doesn't mean anything. It's just aged. The bacteria in the filter is what keeps a tank cycled.

Also: If they suggested 5-10 shrimp why would you come right back with a question of whether 20 would be alright? =\
A betta wouldn't fit regardless, and thus 5-10 is the maximum stocking already.

The Curious
02-17-2010, 02:51 PM
I was thinking 5 ghosts with a betta, but obviously there is not even enough room for a betta, so they meant 5 alone...sorry. I figured since the waste output from shrimp was so small they might be fine in a lil larger numbers than 5...so I asked.

I've been looking into small filters...not much selection...but I'm still looking and thinking about some sort of DIY project for it.

I might do just a couple red crystal shrimp.

If I were to do only a couple of inverts like this would I need a filter or would they do fine with just some heat and weekly water changes?

VoidParadigm
02-17-2010, 02:54 PM
Most invertebrates are highly sensitive to nitrite and trate changes.
You need at least a sponge filter.

korith
02-17-2010, 03:28 PM
Can get a small sponge filter run off an air pump. I think petsmart/petco have small box sponge filters for betta tanks that would work in your tank, doesn't take up much space.

Bristley
02-17-2010, 03:31 PM
Not trying to jack your thread, just wanted to say that this particular thread has given me a great idea for the 1.5g tank that I have sitting in the garage doing nothing. I think I may try setting it up with some RCS.

EmmanuelJB
02-17-2010, 03:59 PM
I would say get 5 ghost shrimp in a 1 gallon. Maybe replace the 1 gallon with a 5 gallon and get a betta and 10-15 ghost shrimp.

The Curious
02-17-2010, 04:26 PM
Most invertebrates are highly sensitive to nitrite and trate changes.
You need at least a sponge filter.

Cool...yeah I have a sponge filter laying around so I'll just hook that up in addition to my small heater...and I'll keep it under 5 shrimp.

Well...thanks for helping me figure out what I can and can't do with a 1 gallon tank. I figured I would be very limited...but my questions have been answered and now i have a plan...Thanks.

I'm sorry if I upset anyone by asking too many questions...thats just what I do...I ask questions.

The Curious
02-17-2010, 04:29 PM
Not trying to jack your thread, just wanted to say that this particular thread has given me a great idea for the 1.5g tank that I have sitting in the garage doing nothing. I think I may try setting it up with some RCS.

Yeah I was up at my family's house and saw the 1 Gallon cylindar laying around collecting dust. I had been looking at nano planted tanks online earlier in the day and I just decided it would be a fun project to set-up something small.

Good luck on your lil 1.5

Bristley
02-17-2010, 04:33 PM
Good luck on your lil 1.5

Thank you, and especially thank you for starting this thread as it gave me the idea.:22:

Good luck on yours as well.thumbs2:

SunSchein89
02-17-2010, 07:05 PM
I say you take the 1 gal and put some fancy rocks and a bunch of flowers in it and then go out and buy a cheap 5 or 10 gal tank which will give you a lot more options than you would currently have.