PDA

View Full Version : Small Office Tank

Rhaethe
02-16-2010, 05:28 AM
In my office at work, I'll be able to put in a small tank. I have enough power outlets for a light and a filter, but not a heater.

So!

I'm needing some ideas of what can go in there ... plants, livestock, etc. I know goldfish need a 20g plus size. What about crayfish? Minnows?

My mind is open for suggestions. All the reading I have done so far has folks setting up large (and huge) tanks for coldwater critters.

EmmanuelJB
02-16-2010, 05:35 AM
In a 10 gallon or larger minnows would work. Depending on the tempurature your office, you could have most types of inverts (snails, Crayfish, shrimp, clams). If it stays abbove 65F most of those inverts should be fine.

Rhaethe
02-16-2010, 05:50 AM
I've never known it to get lower than 65. The building is pretty good at keeping it a constant 70 -75, and I've been in there at odd times to do some system maintenances.

The overhead lighting is also always kept on, although I do have a dimmer place on my desk that gets shade. Hmmmm ... remembering that plants need periods of dark as well as light, I might opt for artificial plants for ease.

korith
02-16-2010, 06:12 AM
I've always used a powerbar on all my electronics including the aquariums, just to safeguard against power surges. Could always use one and add in a heater.

How about red cherry shrimp, can keep them in small tank. A small air pump with a sponge filter and a light or heater. Java moss and some other mosses can live with just room lighting. They do better at warmer temps, but I've kept them and other shrimp at "room temp" without any real issues. They just get a little less active when the temperature gets lower.

Rhaethe
02-16-2010, 06:17 AM
A shrimp tank was the first thought, but I've already got a powerbar hooked up to my cube's socket :11: Although, if they do reasonably well at room temp, might still could try.

Another thought: I'll test my office building's water tomorrow, and see what the "from the tap" specs are. That might alter what I choose to keep.

Rhaethe
02-16-2010, 06:27 AM
Aaaand another thought. The pet store near the office has some fairly attractive albino apple snails.

Perhaps a soothing snail tank is an option?

Garrett
02-16-2010, 07:10 AM
Well, if you're not going with live plants there's no particular reason you need a light, so long as the tank's well-lit enough that you can see the fish.

Rhaethe
02-16-2010, 07:39 AM
Ooooo. Good point.

Rhaethe
02-16-2010, 04:28 PM
So, now that I am at work, I can see where there really isn't a place that is shaded. All light, all the time. And its fairly bright. Because of the always-on lighting, I am hesitant to introduce live plants into the mix.

There's a fellow on the other side of the building who has a 39g marine reef with fish setup, but he wasn't here today. I'll make a point of seeking him out later to see how he handles the lighting.

It's also somewhat chillier than I mentioned. I would say it stays 68-70. Of course, if I do opt for the heater, it's not an issue. I also rooted around underneath my desk and found 6 useable outlets ... 2 are location dependent. Not a big deal though.

I find I am intrigued by the idea of replicating a small running stream in a tank. Even if that's not possible, I kind of like the idea of maintaining a coldwater tank, or at least sub-tropical.

Just need to do some research on what species are available and what their requirements are.

HeatherB
02-16-2010, 04:32 PM
I see power strips and extension cords in your future!! HAHA

korith
02-16-2010, 04:57 PM
I find I am intrigued by the idea of replicating a small running stream in a tank. Even if that's not possible, I kind of like the idea of maintaining a coldwater tank, or at least sub-tropical.

How big of a tank are you thinking about getting? It's cool your work lets you all do that. The place my brother works doesn't even let him keep anything on the walls or even a potted plant!

Rhaethe
02-16-2010, 05:08 PM
How big of a tank are you thinking about getting? It's cool your work lets you all do that. The place my brother works doesn't even let him keep anything on the walls or even a potted plant!

I love my workplace :1luvu:

As far as size of tank ...

Well, the space available in my cube / deskspace would allow for a 30g long. I do not think I want something that large though. I do need to think of how I'd perform water changes. With all of the security locked doors between myself and the water tap, doing a bucket brigade many times in a row isn't practical. Also considering that the building folks implied that smaller is preferred ... I need to decide if I'm going to do a 5g or 10g.

Or some size in between.

If I can find a tank that is classified as a "long" that would be ideal.

korith
02-16-2010, 05:27 PM
I love my workplace :1luvu:

As far as size of tank ...

Well, the space available in my cube / deskspace would allow for a 30g long. I do not think I want something that large though. I do need to think of how I'd perform water changes. With all of the security locked doors between myself and the water tap, doing a bucket brigade many times in a row isn't practical. Also considering that the building folks implied that smaller is preferred ... I need to decide if I'm going to do a 5g or 10g.

Or some size in between.

If I can find a tank that is classified as a "long" that would be ideal.

True water changes would be painful with a larger tank. If you are handy, you could always make an odd sized acrylic or glass tank. Made one with a friend a while back 36Lx7Wx8H, just holds around 8g was a screwy sized odd build but fun. A thin long tank, not that wide so it fits well on my desk and doesn't take up much room. Have microrasboras and red cherry shrimp in it. Small plants like microsword in it.

HeatherB
02-17-2010, 12:05 AM
I would go for smaller. That way, if you could get a big, 3/4 gal. bucket, and something to roll it on, that would only make for one trip thru the doors to do a water change. Even a massive one. And if you needed to, you could always pick it up and take it to the bathroom. Not something I'd want to do, but its doable.

Rhaethe
02-17-2010, 12:16 AM
I would go for smaller. That way, if you could get a big, 3/4 gal. bucket, and something to roll it on, that would only make for one trip thru the doors to do a water change. Even a massive one. And if you needed to, you could always pick it up and take it to the bathroom. Not something I'd want to do, but its doable.

I agree. I think I also decided to run with a small invert only tank. I started a journal elsewhere on the forum to keep track of the whole thing.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=59256

It's kinda stream of consciousness, but does record some of the thought processes and reasoning. :hmm3grin2orange: