PDA

View Full Version : Sera's Floradepot

lmm80
05-03-2007, 01:41 PM
I picked this stuff up the other day for my 6 gallon. Can you use it alone or is it recommended to put regular sand on top of it? This is what it is in case you don't know (http://www.sera.de/index.php?id=301&L=1 ), as I had never seen it before. I will be ordering my plants either today or monday. I have some of it floating on the surface, but just a little bit the rest has seemed to settle down.

Thanks.

jeffs99dime
05-03-2007, 01:43 PM
good link~!~~

xoolooxunny
05-03-2007, 05:08 PM
I picked this stuff up the other day for my 6 gallon. Can you use it alone or is it recommended to put regular sand on top of it? This is what it is in case you don't know (http://www.sera.de/index.php?id=301&L=1 ), as I had never seen it before. I will be ordering my plants either today or monday. I have some of it floating on the surface, but just a little bit the rest has seemed to settle down.

Thanks.

You'll usually get a few stray floaters, I did with my fluorite. As far as this stuff goes, I've never used it or know anybody that has. What is it made with?

lmm80
05-03-2007, 05:17 PM
ok good...did you use your flourite as the sole substrate?

according to the container it contains: "vital nutrients, peat, trace elements, nutrient salts and special growth promotingsubstances. It does not contain nitrates or phosphates."

Chrona
05-03-2007, 05:26 PM
Is it hard or soft? How big are the pellets? (mm-diameter). I'd say no to the sand, as it will seperate and look weird.

xoolooxunny
05-03-2007, 05:30 PM
i have eco complete and aquarium sand under the fluorite, along with a substrate heater. i dont know if im sold on "special growth promoting substances, but im curious to know how this stuff works.

Chrona
05-03-2007, 05:32 PM
i have eco complete and aquarium sand under the fluorite, along with a substrate heater. i dont know if im sold on "special growth promoting substances, but im curious to know how this stuff works.

Probably calcium/magnesium or something, lol. Even if it was bogus, the peat, trace and high nutrient holding ability would still make it much better than gravel, hehe.

xoolooxunny
05-03-2007, 05:37 PM
Probably calcium/magnesium or something, lol. Even if it was bogus, the peat, trace and high nutrient holding ability would still make it much better than gravel, hehe.

That is true, most stuff is better than gravel. btw, in your first reply, what were you answering to about sand ("I'd say no to the sand, as it will seperate and look weird.")

Chrona
05-03-2007, 05:41 PM
That is true, most stuff is better than gravel. btw, in your first reply, what were you answering to about sand ("I'd say no to the sand, as it will seperate and look weird.")

She asked if she should cap the floradepot with sand. Unless I got it completely wrong and the stuff is similar to soft laterite or something, I'd say the sand would look funny as it got mixed in with the flora. Imo pure substrates are the way to go.

xoolooxunny
05-03-2007, 05:52 PM
She asked if she should cap the floradepot with sand. Unless I got it completely wrong and the stuff is similar to soft laterite or something, I'd say the sand would look funny as it got mixed in with the flora. Imo pure substrates are the way to go.

ooo ok, read over that too fast:22:

lmm80
05-03-2007, 06:05 PM
It's got little pellets in it. It states that the plants soak up the nitruents within 2-4 weeks (I have flourish excel for after that).

The instruction say to spread the floradepot evenly over the places plants will be in the tank (it's a 6 gallon...I am having plants in the whole tank) so I spread it over the bottom of the tank. It then says to cover the entire base with pre-rinsed aquarium gravel of 1-3 mm on areas with and without the floradepot. I was wondering since I spread it throughout the bottom of the tank if I could just use it as a sole substrate or if I should put gravel down (not sand, that was my error).

Thanks.

xoolooxunny
05-03-2007, 06:13 PM
It's got little pellets in it. It states that the plants soak up the nitruents within 2-4 weeks (I have flourish excel for after that).

The instruction say to spread the floradepot evenly over the places plants will be in the tank (it's a 6 gallon...I am having plants in the whole tank) so I spread it over the bottom of the tank. It then says to cover the entire base with pre-rinsed aquarium gravel of 1-3 mm on areas with and without the floradepot. I was wondering since I spread it throughout the bottom of the tank if I could just use it as a sole substrate or if I should put gravel down (not sand, that was my error).

Thanks.

Well, if it says the plants are done with it after a month, and it looks good/stays down with water added, I would say to leave just that down, that way you can replace it in patches over time, without mixing in the clown puke gravel. Flourish works great, but in conjunction with a nutrient rich substrate.

Chrona
05-03-2007, 11:27 PM
Ok, looks like I did get it complete wrong lol. It sounds like this floradepot stuff is similar to the laterite clay we have here in that it gets depleted and so is more of a supplement than a substrate in itself. Yes, just follow the instructions, but keep in mind that if you use sand, the sand will settle to the bottom and the Floradepot will pop up over time.

After the stuff wears out, you will want to dose Flourish if you want to maintain the same conditions. Flourish Excel is an alternative source of carbon (as opposed to CO2), which, while nice for CO2-less aquariums, is not really required. Flourish on the other hand, is a trace/iron/macro supplement which will be similar to the effect the floradepot had.

lmm80
05-04-2007, 03:04 PM
great, thanks for the info!! I plan on getting some gravel this weekend to put over the floradepot. I will also pick up regular flourish. Thanks again everyone!