PDA

View Full Version : Help! pleco attacking!!!

daninath
02-15-2010, 03:56 PM
We have had our aquarium for approx 5-6 months now, our pleco and Large angel fish were the first fish in there, since then many fish have been added to the tank.

For some reason our ansistrus pleco has attacked our large angel fish, she has since sadly passed on.

Now he has taken to attacking the next largest angel fish.

Can anyone tell me why this is happeneing, and any tips as to what to do next????

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

Scrup
02-15-2010, 04:00 PM
Are you feeding the pleco enough? How big is the tank? They are not known to casually attack fish, unless they get attacked, or are starving, and in that case, he has learned to find a food source, and you will be hard pressed to get him to "unlearn" it.

Again though, what and how much do you feed him?

Northernguy
02-15-2010, 04:05 PM
Yes plecos do attack flat sided fish to eat the slime coating off of them.Its not a good thing.I think you should rehome the pleco is you want angels.
What type of pleco?
How big of a tank?

Welcome to the Fabulous AC!:22:

rich311k
02-15-2010, 06:19 PM
Plecoes will do that. You need to rehome either the pleco or the angels.

VoidParadigm
02-15-2010, 10:00 PM
Once plecos realize that slime coats are yummy, they'll stick to sucking your fish. You need to rehome that one, or the angels. Next time you get one feed it more.

ed110220
02-16-2010, 01:18 AM
Lots of fish shops sell plecos as fish that don't need any extra food of their own, saying that they will live off waste. It's not true, they do need feeding. If not they are more likely to start sucking the slime off other fish. Even if you feed it well, once it has learned it may not stop this behaviour.

daninath
02-16-2010, 04:00 PM
He is very well fed, but this seems to have happened out of the blue. The tank is 180Litres.

All in know is it is an ansistrus pleco.

We also have a baby ansistrus pleco in the tank, Will this same behavior come out as he grows?

If so i think ile have to rehome the plecos.

Thanks for all the help!

Lady Hobbs
02-16-2010, 04:47 PM
You can not keep a pleco with an angelfish. It will latch onto the angel in order to suck on it's slime coat which will kill it. Pleco's do not belong with any flat sided fish such as angels, discus or silver dollars.