PDA

View Full Version : My "Community" Tank?

Irish2539
02-14-2010, 11:34 PM
I got a Green Terror Cichlid Today n im just wondering, with people who have had experience with them, would he work in the tank? At the moment he is 3.5". Iv had all the fish listed below for a good while and there are no problems.

800 Liters (211 us gallons?) Tank

2 Bala sharks
Black skirt tetra
red tailed shark
5 flying fox's
4 denison barbs
2 firemouth cichlids
5 African butterfly Cichlids
4 Clown loaches
Common pleco
candy striped pleco
L142 ( i think)
2 cory's
2 Ropefish
Fire Eel
2 african Butterfly fish

rich311k
02-14-2010, 11:38 PM
He is going to be 12 inches of fish, some can be down right ornery, some are quite peaceful depends on the fish. You will want to watch it.

gm72
02-14-2010, 11:46 PM
I can't imagine that stocking working out in the long haul.

Zilla
02-14-2010, 11:55 PM
My vote is no. He may be fine right now, but I think it will be very short lived.

Irish2539
02-14-2010, 11:56 PM
So its all just down to his personality really....? I couldnt find anything on the web which shows a green terror with non agressive fish similar to mine (in similar size tank),,,, only with firemouth. Im Thinking due to size of tank its worth experimenting!

Irish2539
02-15-2010, 12:00 AM
I can't imagine that stocking working out in the long haul.

Iv had most of the fish for years now,,, and its working perfectly., Newest addition besides Green Terror is fire Eel which iv had a year now.

Zilla
02-15-2010, 12:03 AM
There is a reason why you couldn't find Green Terrors with non-aggessive fish, It's because they are aggressive and some of the fish you have may very well turn into a play thing or a snack when it gets bigger.

Just my humble opinion...

rich311k
02-15-2010, 12:07 AM
I imagine your smaller fish will be eaten regardless of the GTs personality.

Irish2539
02-15-2010, 12:12 AM
True, Its Called Green Terror for a reason. Im just going to keep an eye on him, I can always bring him back if he turns out to be a evil bugger! I couldnt resist.. i think there is a chance it'l work... :ssmile: I dont really have any small fish besidese cory's and the tetra... then flying fox's but they are fully grown.

Scrup
02-17-2010, 04:27 PM
If he does eat a corry it will probably kill him. Not many fish can pull that feat off and survive.

You are dealing with a possibly VERY mean fish. Even if it doesn't eat any of em, it will probably beat on the larger ones a bit.

annageckos
02-17-2010, 04:42 PM
Personallity is only part of it. GT are preditors. They eat other fish. If it fits in it's mouth it is food. If not now, later when it gets bigger.

Irish2539
02-17-2010, 06:14 PM
ye i just gotta wait n see! ill post an update when he is bigger on how he is gettin on,! i have another 2 tanks so i can move smaller fish,

lowlight
02-18-2010, 12:37 AM
[/COLOR]
I got a Green Terror Cichlid Today n im just wondering, with people who have had experience with them, would he work in the tank? At the moment he is 3.5". Iv had all the fish listed below for a good while and there are no problems.

2 Bala sharks
Black skirt tetra
red tailed shark
5 flying fox's
4 denison barbs
2 firemouth cichlids
5 African butterfly Cichlids
4 Clown loaches
Common pleco
candy striped pleco
L142 ( i think)
2 cory's
2 Ropefish
Fire Eel
2 african Butterfly fish

I would get rid of the GT and get 3 more Balas, 6 Tetras, 5 Corys and maybe 2 more Clowns. I don't have any experience with some of those fish so this is just my 2 cents worth, I would also say you might be quite stocked.

Scrup
02-18-2010, 12:42 AM
Between the clowns and the balas you are going to have a tank full as it is.

All 6 of those fish can and probably will reach about a foot long, if not bigger (some clowns get to 18") plus the common pleco(about 2 feet) the rope fish (can grow from 2-4') and the fire eel (close to 4 feet)

mac
02-18-2010, 05:14 AM

A GT would be a great fish to keep in this type of size tank. As long as it had proper tank mates and tank set up.

IMO I would take note of what the others are saying. And look at you stocking.

2 Bala sharks These fish must be in schools.5 or more is best.
Black skirt tetra Like to be in schools. And are not suited to fish that will eat them. And a GT will and can.
red tailed shark Should be okay if he has plenty of caves and places to hide.
5 flying fox's I am not a fan of these fish. Better suited to their own species tank IMO. More due to the fact that once they are older they stop eating algae and bother other fish. Plus I would not add them to a GT
4 denison barbs Larger school is needed. And I would not add them with GTs.
2 firemouth cichlids Had hell with these fish. Eating corys Angles anything that can be eaten they ate. Mostly must have been my ones just over territorially. But still food for the GT. And make sure they are in male female ration.
5 African butterfly Cichlids Would become food for the GT if I am thinking of the right one. Not only that these like hard alkaline water.

4 Clown loaches Need to be in a school. And take note they can get up to and over 18 inches long.
Common pleco These fish are messy fish needing heaps of filtration. And can grow up to a and over 15 inches fast. But would be okay with the GT and your tank.
candy striped pleco
L142 ( i think) For me I would place him in a safer tank.
2 cory's Need to and must be in large schools. And in a sandy tank. Also I would not trust a GT with these.
2 Ropefish Great at eating other fish. And get large.
Fire Eel Great at eating fish and large.
2 african Butterfly fish Would be best in a quiet less predatory tank.

Really I would think hard about your over stocked tank, with very incompatible fish and restock with a plan in mind.

Fish are not just toys they are pets, and need to be thought about accordingly.

mac

Irish2539
03-15-2010, 07:42 PM
hey mac, Ur completely right with the info,,,! ill try explain the setup better n hopefully ya get back.

Thing is some of the fish are very old in my tank.. i had a shoal of balla's but only 2 left... they r around 7-8 years old now.. i also had a shoal of black shirts at one stage and i had alot of cory's... id say they will die in next year or 2,,

(The black skirt is as old has the bala,,,, i thought most fish that size usually live round 5-6 years max.. i had 8.. his last tankmate died last year) im goin to move the blackskirt once the GT gets bigger.

Ah they are not the true flying fox's... Siamese algae eater is other name..

clown loach. I agree a bigger school would be better.. but 4 is ok even though i consider it bare minimum.. iv had them for 5 years now. alot of setups iv seen have 4-6 clown loaches in it..

Firemouth... I cant imagine putting these guys in a small tank... I have a male and female,, They have there own territory n dont bother the other fish to much.

Iv talked with other people who have butterfly cichlids and they dont need hard alkaline water,, while they wud prefer it, it causes no major problems..

my rope fish are 14" and no problems.

butterfly fish are mature and iv plenty of cover for them. other fish dont bother them.

I don''t feel my tank is over stocked... yes The fire Eel will grow but my Bala's shouldn't live past another 2 years max.. i have very good filtration, put alot of time into it.

I agree with all your comments about the GT. he has been in the tank nearly i month now.... he has not shown aggression yet, but im sure he will as he grows.. If he causes major problems illl send him back. Iv taken chances b4 with diff combination's and they work.. i find Cichlids aren't as aggressive towards fish they grow up with. (Obviously depends on size ect..)

Here are some pics

http://i610.photobucket.com/albums/tt181/Irish2539/fish/Fish006.jpg
http://i610.photobucket.com/albums/tt181/Irish2539/fish/Fish002.jpg
http://i610.photobucket.com/albums/tt181/Irish2539/fish/Fish014.jpg

The Stock may be a bit mad but it has worked for years.... only prob may be GT ;)

n the L142 is great little fish... when i put courgette he comes up to the front n hops n the common Plecos back trying to get at it. I like to think i have a bit of experience... Most info on unusual combos generally come from disasters in small tanks ect... i always try it myself if i feel there is a chance of working.... sure i had a shoal of large female guppies in the tank for a few months.,.. n no deaths. There back in my 70L now since i put in the GT.

TY for every1's Comments. Ill let ya know when the GT starts gobbling up my fish:hmm3grin2orange: ! u can see him in pick being chased by Butterfly Cichlid he is twice the size now.

wolf_eyes
03-17-2010, 01:05 AM
All good advice here. Terrors are called terrors for a reason, and are good predators. People tried to give you the right advise but it seems like you pefer do things your own way. It's fine of course, it's your tank after all. Hopefully you have a very peaceful green terror... though it pretty unlikely. Good luck with the tank.

rothenb1
03-17-2010, 01:29 AM
It's called a green terror for a reason, LOL.

Irish2539
03-17-2010, 01:26 PM
People tried to give you the right advise but it seems like you pefer do things your own way

:11: im quite stubborn! Im gonna move some of the smaller fish, No need to put my fishes in danger cus i wont listen:hmm3grin2orange: . Ill let every1 know how it goes in a month r two when he is bigger.. He is growing fast.

Irish2539
04-26-2010, 02:01 PM
Hey, thought id do a little update.
I am selling my 2 bala sharks.... they are going to a massive tank with 30 clowns in it.
turns out i have Jewel cichlids not butterfly Cichlids. (you were right if i had butterfly's they would not of stood a chance)
Green Terror has grown alot and im pretty sure its a female. she aint the boss of the tank yet!

here is a little vid.
http://i610.photobucket.com/albums/tt181/Irish2539/fish/th_Fish.jpg (http://s610.photobucket.com/albums/tt181/Irish2539/fish/?action=view&current=Fish.flv)

Ill post another update in a few months.

wolf_eyes
04-27-2010, 02:31 AM
do you have fry in the tank?

Irish2539
05-03-2010, 03:42 PM
yeah Jewel Fry, they have spawned 3 times now, i dont want any more so im just leaving them in.. interesting to watch but fry only last a few days.

Im selling my two rope fish,

Im actually going to Germany for a year so im selling most of the fish..
Im thinking of just leaving a few fish in the tank... Ill try teach my mum and sis the basics..! 4 clowns, red tailed shark, Green Terror, 2 Jewels, 2 firemouths, common pleco. Iv already doubled the filtration... for a 211gal tank that isnt much on the bioload right?

Irish2539
09-28-2010, 07:42 AM
Well its been seven months since i got my GT... My stock has changed a little. swapped some fish.. My GT is doing great, no problems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZCYCSnapVY

4 Clown loaches
4 Dension barbs
Jewel cichlid
2 convicts
Firemouth
Green Terror
sailfin pleco
L142
L061
2 cory's
4 Siamese algae eaters