PDA

View Full Version : dominant killi fish is hiding

mjbickford
02-14-2010, 08:33 AM
why would the dominant killi, and the largest in the tank, take to hiding behind some drift wood?

it is in with3 other killies, 5 glass barbs, and a red tail shark

Shaysfishys
02-17-2010, 09:10 PM
Maybe just a thought is that the red tail is harassing him/her, not sure but that would be my guess.

The killi's that I raise are bold amongst themselves or the neighbors in the tanks next to them, but they don't like to share the lower areas of the tank IME

mjbickford
02-18-2010, 05:11 AM
maybe but i doubt it.

this particular killi is about 1.5x the size of the red tail, and if it was being tormented, i dont think it would have hid right where the red tail stakes his territory.

i have never seen the red tail pester the killis, as it mostly chases the glass barbs who went is as dither fish for the red tail.

perhaps the killi is guarding a nest?

Shaysfishys
02-18-2010, 05:03 PM
Haven't had a killifish who would guard a spawn site IME not sure what is going on possible the glass barbs make it nervous

The killi's I've kept/keep have been in species housing, rare occassions they've been in a community but in those situations nobody ever really acted differently or hid out

Sorry I couldn't be of more help,

annageckos
02-18-2010, 05:31 PM
What size it the tank and has it been cycled? What type of killies do you have? What are your parameters? You will get more help when we know these answers.

Red
02-18-2010, 08:37 PM
I know what your problem is, killies should not be in tanks with other community fish, just there own kind. It will cause them to hide and be very mean. They would be fine in a 10gal or a 5gal by themselves. Also, you should present a killie mop for the killies. I have a article on here on how to make one with pictures.