PDA

View Full Version : Oh No!!!

xoolooxunny
05-02-2007, 11:29 PM
Came home from work today and a giant danio was on the bottom, not breathing super fast, and when i went to net him, the pathetic attempt to swim away looked like an s-curved convulsion of some sort. yesterday, before my 50% water change, everybody was doing fine!

ph 7.0
Nitrites, Amm0 0ppm
Nitrates 5-10ppm
temp 76-78
Normal feeding, no chemicals added all parameters are b4 &after the WC.

Gave him the clove oil and icy water treatment.

Rue
05-02-2007, 11:35 PM
...my condolences...

...I think something is off in my puffer tank too...found one little guy on the bottom...flushed out the other 3...they're all alive, but not 'normal'...

Lady Hobbs
05-02-2007, 11:40 PM
He was not breathing super-fast?? LOL Kidding aside, guy. I am very sorry to hear you have a sick one. Your water is perfect so it isn't anything you've done.

Chrona
05-02-2007, 11:43 PM
Came home from work today and a giant danio was on the bottom, not breathing super fast, and when i went to net him, the pathetic attempt to swim away looked like an s-curved convulsion of some sort. yesterday, before my 50% water change, everybody was doing fine!

ph 7.0
Nitrites, Amm0 0ppm
Nitrates 5-10ppm
temp 76-78
Normal feeding, no chemicals added all parameters are b4 &after the WC.

Gave him the clove oil and icy water treatment.

Sounds like fish TB to me. A cardinal I had exhibited the same behaviour.

xoolooxunny
05-02-2007, 11:45 PM
He was not breathing super-fast?? LOL Kidding aside, guy. I am very sorry to hear you have a sick one. Your water is perfect so it isn't anything you've done.

Well i say that bc usually a sick fish symptom is fast breathing. And yes, some of my phrases and terminology i use with my friends will slip in here every now and again!

FISH TB!!!!!!!!!! CHRONA THAT IS NOT THE ANSWER I WANTED!!!

Chrona
05-02-2007, 11:53 PM
Well i say that bc usually a sick fish symptom is fast breathing. And yes, some of my phrases and terminology i use with my friends will slip in here every now and again!

FISH TB!!!!!!!!!! CHRONA THAT IS NOT THE ANSWER I WANTED!!!

Well, the weird back shape/convulsion is a pretty dead giveaway. I believe the only thing that can really cause it is TB and/or nutrient deficiency, but that's more of a long term thing. I've been reading some articles, and there are theories that almost half of all aquariums contain fish TB, just like almost all aquariums contain ich, etc to some level, that takes over when fish are stressed. However, nearly all cases of humans being infected are in marine tanks, not freshwater, as the strains of bacteria are different.

xoolooxunny
05-02-2007, 11:58 PM
Well, the weird back shape/convulsion is a pretty dead giveaway. I believe the only thing that can really cause it is TB and/or nutrient deficiency, but that's more of a long term thing. I've been reading some articles, and there are theories that almost half of all aquariums contain fish TB, just like almost all aquariums contain ich, etc to some level, that takes over when fish are stressed. However, nearly all cases of humans being infected are in marine tanks, not freshwater, as the strains of bacteria are different.

I just got done reading about the FW/SW bacterias also, and there is no way my fishies have a nutrient deficiency, they get all types of food, in rotations.

In about the 3/4 of a year i've had my tank, ive fed brine shrimp to them about 3 times, could this have introduced it? this is the second time one of my danios has gone out this way, the first one about 2 or 3 months ago, cant really remember.

I also read that I can feed antibacterial food to them, does that stuff really work?? bc i sure as heck aint tryin to inject a $2 fish.

Chrona
05-03-2007, 12:07 AM
No, the only antibiotics that can treat it are injection-based and you can only get the stuff from a vet. Just wait to see what happens though.

xoolooxunny
05-03-2007, 12:13 AM
No, the only antibiotics that can treat it are injection-based and you can only get the stuff from a vet. Just wait to see what happens though.

My friend is a vet tech, and she got me some panacur C for my tree froggy so he wouldnt die of parasites. it saved his life. Now I have her on lock, trying to figure out this eurthromycin stuff right now.

Incredulous_Ed
05-03-2007, 04:37 AM
Maybe the danio just died of old age, you never know.