PDA

View Full Version : Plants

Waterlily
02-13-2010, 07:23 PM
I've got plastic plants in the 5g betta tank now and I was thinking I would put in real plants, but the fish store guy said don't bother, plants need the flourescent tube lights (perferably 2) and that plants were harder to take care of than the fish.
I have a heated tank, but no lights on it. Is there an easy hardy plant I could put in the tank?

gm72
02-13-2010, 07:27 PM
There are a wide variety of wonderful plants that are hardy and easy to care for even in very low light conditions. Think about Java fern, java moss, and anubias.

miles13
02-13-2010, 09:48 PM
could i use a ocean seaweed for bettas if i wash it of very good :
think:

gm72
02-13-2010, 10:47 PM
No, seaweed is for saltwater.

rich311k
02-13-2010, 10:48 PM
You could get a desk lamp to put over the tank. Put a CF bulb with the right color in it and you should be able to grow low light plants. Low light plants are not hard to grow.

smaug
02-14-2010, 12:24 AM
drop a mossball in there.

Sarkazmo
02-14-2010, 02:57 AM
drop a mossball in there.

Yep, Marimo Balls are awesome and need little more than room light. They grow very slowly though. They do absorb a great deal of nitrates and such from the water so they act as living filters.

Java Moss, Java Fern, Anubias, as mentioned above are very easy to grow.

Go to WalMart (if you have one near by) and buy a pack of GE "Daylight" 6500k Compact Fluorescent (CFL) bulbs for about $8. Put one in a desklap as mention above. Plenty of light to grow many low light plants. Hornwort needs a little more light than the plants mentioned but Betta love to lounge in it at the surface.

Also, putting your light on a timer will greatly increase the growth of your plants and your Betta will be happier as he'll have a regular day/night schedule.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Sark

Rhaethe
02-14-2010, 03:09 AM
What would be a good store (I'd guess online) to grab a moss ball or Marimo ball from?

ed110220
02-14-2010, 10:29 AM
You see them on Ebay sometimes. They're very hardy so I wouldn't worry about it being harmed in the post.

I bought some in a little bottle in Japan the autumn before last and carried them round in my backpack for weeks, only taking them out occaisionally when I got a chance for some light. They weren't harmed at all and have grown fine just in the bottle with no artificial light.

Sarkazmo
02-14-2010, 10:18 PM
Marimo Balls are an algae and not actually "moss" as most people assume. So no algacides! They are very hardy and many people sell them on eBay, Aquabid.com and the Shop and Swap section of the Plantedtank.net as well as other places. They're great at out competing harmful algaes for the nutrients needed to grow and they also act as mini filters helping purify the water.

Sark

Tamara
02-18-2010, 02:33 AM
i wouldn't go back to that store for advice - that guy doesn't seem like he knows what he's talking about. =p