PDA

View Full Version : betta loosing her color

Pinky
02-13-2010, 05:32 PM
I have a betta in a community tank with zebras, guppies, platy, algae eater and a pleco. I rescued these fish and was told I had to take the betta in the vase too...so I did and added her to the community tank as well - she has been in there for 6months doing well(water conditons are all 0)water changes 25% weekly.......a few days ago I noticed that she was loosing her bright red color and her one long fin was missing...she is eating fine and doing what she has always done. Should I be treating with something?

EmmanuelJB
02-13-2010, 05:48 PM
Somthing may be picking at her... Maybe the zebra danios. Stress can cause fish to lose color. I would keep a close eye to see if anyhting is bugging her though.

Waterlily
02-13-2010, 07:25 PM
I had some golden zebra danios that were picking on the fins of my cory cats.
I had a betta in with a frog too once and the frog would shoot up and pick at the tail. I had to get rid of the frog

gm72
02-13-2010, 07:31 PM
Stress. Do you have another tank or do you have the capacity for another small tank for the betta?

Pinky
02-14-2010, 12:35 AM
I have another tank but it is filled with baby guppies - which I have found she enjoys these appetizers (one accidentally got into her tank) so that is not a solution......would adding additional fish cause stress as I have been adding male fancy tail guppys, to reduce my other tanks population.

gm72
02-14-2010, 12:37 AM
Oh yes, definitely you are stressing out the fish by adding male guppies.

Pinky
02-14-2010, 02:15 AM
ok....I will remove them....I am assuming the one that she has been living with since the beginning is not my stress factor...but the new ones are. Thanks for all your help!!