PDA

View Full Version : how big a tank?

sunfishman
02-13-2010, 03:05 PM
how big of a tank would a teacup ray need? im not talking gallons, i mean area of the tank bottom. any info would be great.

annageckos
02-13-2010, 03:45 PM
By teacup ray are you talking about Potamotrygon reticulatus? A lot of stores lable any small ray as 'teacup' regardless of species or adult size. I really cant help you out on size. My plan if I ever got a ray was to use something like a baby pool, lots of floor space.

octoxpuss
02-13-2010, 03:46 PM
Yeah i agree with anna my thought was a larger childs pool

Oskar
02-13-2010, 03:46 PM
If you have never owned a ray,"tea cups" or reticulated rays are not a good choice for your first one.It is very difficult to get them to eat,and are not recommended for beginners.Once you get them to eat,they are no more difficult to keep than any other ray.But because they are so picky about eating,they often get diseases,and die.

With that said,the bare minimum for a retic would be 48"x18" foot print.But remember the minimum tank size for a fish means the maximum amount of work for you.

sunfishman
02-13-2010, 03:53 PM
good pount. but if i could get it to eat, a 75 wide would be suitable? or a 90? rays have facinated me for awhile, and so i want to know all i can.

Oskar
02-13-2010, 04:02 PM
90 would be better.Adult females discs get to be around 15 inches,and they can get to be around 20 to 24 inches in length.Males stay smaller.
If you try this,get one at a store,and make sure to see it eat something before you take it home.Frozen blood worms,or market fish or shrimp.

VoidParadigm
02-14-2010, 12:58 AM
IMO rays should be in tanks with a width that's three times their own length, and a tank length of at least six times their own length.

Preferably a lot larger.

Rays are best suited to custom built ponds or large kid's pools.

Demjor19
02-14-2010, 02:52 PM
good pount. but if i could get it to eat, a 75 wide would be suitable? or a 90? rays have facinated me for awhile, and so i want to know all i can.

A 90 is just a tall 75...which does no good at all.

Reticulated (teacup) stingrays are very difficult to keep. As said above...they are not a good beginner ray and they can still get quite large, even though they are one of the smaller rays out there. I would consider a 6'x2' tank to be the bare minimum for an adult female Reticulated stingray as they do get much larger than the males. A male may work in a 150. If you do get one...live black worms are their weakness!

Oskar
02-14-2010, 03:08 PM
Considering they are such large waste producers,the extra water of a 90 will do quite a bit of good.The foot print,as stated,is the bare minimum,and not a good idea IMO.

Demjor19
02-14-2010, 03:49 PM
Considering they are such large waste producers,the extra water of a 90 will do quite a bit of good.The foot print,as stated,is the bare minimum,and not a good idea IMO.

You are correct to a point, but heavy filtration and adequate water changes will do the most good. I wouldn't rely on water volume as a substitute for good husbandry (not that that is what you're saying). These Rays are very sensitive and demand the best care possible. I kept a Retic for several years and the thing drove me crazy in the beginning...I didn't fully understand their care requirements and the ray would go off feed every once in a while. A couple big water changes would do the trick...eventually I saw the pattern.:14:

My best personal advice:
Choose a fish that is of a good weight - ie make sure you see no pelvis or rib bones.
Do regular 50% water changes
Provide heavy filtration
Do not keep it with aggressive tankmates (including ones that would outcompete the ray for food) - No Pleco's either.

Hope this helps.

Fishguy2727
02-14-2010, 04:15 PM
I wouldn't try them in less than a 300 gallon deep tank by Marineland (72x36x27).