PDA

View Full Version : Whats melting my Pink Star?

sheamurai
02-13-2010, 03:04 AM
Hi
Does anyone know what is going on with my pink stars? They used to be pretty full, and now some of them have this gray nub on the end, and the star part is gone. Is something eating them? Do they have some kind of disease? The green stars beside them on the same rock are still as lush as they were the day I got the rock.
Sorry about the photo, the colours don't show very well. There's also the lighter coloured spongy thing in the bottom of the pic that has spots of tufts on stalks growing, and seems to be getting bigger...
Gotta love saltwater, strange things going on all the time!

tim k
02-13-2010, 12:22 PM
Not sure what is causing this have you tested you water lately ?

Tim

ILuvMyGoldBarb
02-13-2010, 12:24 PM
That is an encrusting Gorgonian and requires very very good lighting. Remind me again of the size tank you have and your lighting?

sheamurai
02-13-2010, 12:50 PM
I test my water whenever I have a chance, as the levels haven't settled out yet. Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0, Phosphate 0.5, calcium 420.

Encrusting Gorgonian?? which, the gray nubs or the spongy stuff below the pink stars? Is it bad?

I have a 29gal tank with 1 actinic and one 10k 23" compact flourescent. timers run 12 hours (actinic comes on at 10am, 10k on at 11, then off at 10 and 11 again).
Perhaps I am running my lights too long?

ILuvMyGoldBarb
02-13-2010, 01:07 PM
What you are calling "Pink Stars" is an encrusting Gorgonian. Pink stars is simply the name your LFS, or where ever you got it calls it, it happens all over this hobby. That coral really should have a higher light source to do really well. I had mine under PC lighting in a 60 at one time for about a month and it didn't do anything at all but when I moved it to my 75 with Metal Halide, it actaully started to grow. I expect you don't have enough light for this coral.

sheamurai
02-13-2010, 01:11 PM
OOHHHH
hmm
ok, thanks muchly