PDA

View Full Version : Help with Angel ( cichlid ? )

Reckless_Angel
05-02-2007, 06:39 PM
I have two ( as we call them over here Angel fish ) big black disc-like fish

the female is in trouble, but I need another verdict,

She looks as though she has been badly beaten up by the male and quite often lies on the ground. This activity has been going on for a few days now, I thought she would be dead by now.

Her scales are quite a bit damaged, but appears to have no other illness ( no ich or fungus )

She occasionally comes up swims a little tilted ( tail down ) and then my wide said she basically got beaten back down.

I don't have a seperate tank at the moment.

Does anyone have any suggestions, should I put her out of her misery, or give her a few more days.

I thought she was dead the other day, went to fish her out ( excuse the pun ) but then she started swimming about again.

Anyway, lets see what the experts say :)

R3ckl3ss

Incredulous_Ed
05-02-2007, 07:45 PM
You should get a tank seperator and seperate the angels. If the female survives, You will either need to get rid of her or the male, or get some more similarly sized angels. Angels should either be kept alone or with a bunch of other angels to keep down aggresion issues.
I hope she pulls through!

Reckless_Angel
05-19-2007, 08:14 AM
Bought a small plastic tank that sits inside the tank, positioned it under the water inlet so its streaming with fresh water ( she seems to like it as that's where she stays most of the time. Now she's returned to an upright position and feeding well.

If I was to get 2 -3 more Angels can they be any type ( same species but differnet colours for example ? ) or should they be the same breed ie Black Angelfish....

Reckless

Lady Hobbs
05-19-2007, 12:52 PM
Angels are not happy stuck in a small divider and need room ....at least 10 gallons per fish with 20 even better. Angels get around 5 inches with many even larger and no fish of that size would be happy in a small divider.

There's no way of knowing the sex of these fish until they pick a mate for spawning. You can not have angels without having additional tanks because they can get very aggression and kill others of their species. If you note in my signature I have 7 in a 55 gallon but only because 6 are juvies. Soon many of those will need to be separated.