PDA

View Full Version : Oh of course...bamboo

Scrup
02-12-2010, 06:58 PM
This morning I found my recently purchased bamboo shrimp had expired. Called the box store to ask if the exchange was the same for inverts as it was for fish (15 day return for expired animals) and I was asked a question I didn't think I would hear...
While she was waiting for her manager to verify if they do returns on inverts she got chatty...

them- "Strange it died on you...how much bamboo did it have?"

me- "um....none?"

them- "well it IS a bamboo shrimp"
:sconfused:

me-Deep breath, calm down, its not his fault...."yes, yes it is a bamboo shrimp"

so most likely they will do an exchange, pending the water test..whatever...ill humor them.

Then they said it. They actually said it.

They advised me to do research on livestock after I purchase them from now on....

I am proud of myself for not losing it. Hope I don't run into the same thing in person. I've played my patience card for the day.

I quit going to one store after they told me if I lose another fish I would have to bring in a water sample and they can tell me what I was doing wrong to kill my poor guppies, the whole while fishing out dead guppies by the net full.... I just asked for store credit and got a dog bone.

smaug
02-12-2010, 07:10 PM
Really:sconfused:

Rhaethe
02-12-2010, 07:12 PM
*blink ... blink*

*blinkblinkblink*

Wow.

Scrup
02-12-2010, 07:18 PM
I've come to the conclusion there is a secret organization whose entire goal is to make me lose any and all faith in humanity as a whole.

smaug
02-12-2010, 07:25 PM
I must admit to something.I know how these yahoos think [dont ask how(blush) ].If that would have been me I would have known what she was getting at when she asked if I had bamboo and how much.I would have said "Its a bamboo specific tank".Ya gotta be quick with these numbskulls,tell them what they want to hear.Just a few months ago I had a girl at petsmart not want to sell me 2 more blood parrots because they might not get along with the other 2 because "cichlids like these are really mean".I told her I was putting all of them in a 20 gal long and the extra space would give them better territory "Oh,,ok then that should be ok" she said.Dont let them get the best of ya,stoop to there level,thats what business is all about.:hmm3grin2orange:

BigMac
02-12-2010, 07:43 PM
:help:

something to not ask for....

souly
02-12-2010, 07:48 PM
A woman told me that it would be okay for me to a discus in my 29g with my angel, PLENTY OF ROOM SHE SAID.

I've actually butted in a converstion of a employees at one my LFS when she was going on to this couple about how her goldfish would be fine in a vase. I was like...maybe for a month, maybe a year. Sometimes I wonder why the people that run those places hire people that know nothing of fish. I really want to go into owning a store for fish at some point, then making sure to hire people that know what they are talking about.

Bristley
02-12-2010, 08:03 PM
I really want to go into owning a store for fish at some point, then making sure to hire people that know what they are talking about.

You'd probably be working alone by yourself for quite some time. If you were to open a store, if you were lucky you'd get an employee, maybe two depending on the size of the store that knew something to begin with. Mostly though, you would end up with people that you would have to teach.

The benefit of owning a small store would be that if you could handle pretty much everything by yourself, you could afford to wait to hire someone who already had a clue, or at least until you found someone that was willing to put in a lot of extra time researching so that they could learn properly.

As far as what Scrup experienced, I don't know if I would be able to keep my mouth shut. Especially if there was another LFS that was decent reasonably nearby. I would have probably mouthed off and told them that they really need to pick up a book now and then so that they might understand a little bit about what they're selling. Not that I'm an expert (far from it) but with the short time that I've been on here and the reading that I've done thus far, I'm pretty certain that I have more knowledge on fish keeping than about at least 75% of the LFS employees in my area. Not trying to be conceded, just stating my opinion on what my experiences have been thus far dealing with my LFS's.

tetra
02-12-2010, 10:40 PM
lol im some glad i got an iphone... so i can google fish when im at the store its self, works out well if i see thing that i never scene before

Rue
02-12-2010, 10:44 PM
I'm sorry...I'm still laughing...

:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

annageckos
02-12-2010, 10:53 PM
That made my day, really. So by thier logic, do you need to have clowns in a tank for you clown loaches? Or tigers for tiger barbs? How 'bout a ropefish? Convict cichlid:ssuprised: !!:14: :hmm3grin2orange:

Cascade
02-12-2010, 10:59 PM
That made my day, really. So by thier logic, do you need to have clowns in a tank for you clown loaches? Or tigers for tiger barbs? How 'bout a ropefish? Convict cichlid:ssuprised: !!:14: :hmm3grin2orange:

Haha, that's hilarious. Don't forget to upgrade your lighting for those neons of yours. The black skirt tetras will obviously need a closet for their clothing, and OMG how on earth do you keep the fire going under water for my flame angels?

Rhaethe
02-12-2010, 11:01 PM
OMG how on earth do you keep the fire going under water for my flame angels?

When you find out, let me know so I can finally keep some sparklers lit for my sparkling gourami. thumbs2:

i_am_511
02-12-2010, 11:48 PM
Stingray in a fish bowl huh? you telling me it would be ok? Yes

We have all had crazy stuff happen at the LFS with people not knowing what is good for fish and all.

souly
02-12-2010, 11:56 PM
Does that mean I've been feeading my Angelfish wrong this whole time? Damn....Anyone know where I can get Live angels?

Gramazing
02-13-2010, 12:49 AM
I must admit to something.I know how these yahoos think [dont ask how(blush) ].If that would have been me I would have known what she was getting at when she asked if I had bamboo and how much.I would have said "Its a bamboo specific tank".Ya gotta be quick with these numbskulls,tell them what they want to hear.Just a few months ago I had a girl at petsmart not want to sell me 2 more blood parrots because they might not get along with the other 2 because "cichlids like these are really mean".I told her I was putting all of them in a 20 gal long and the extra space would give them better territory "Oh,,ok then that should be ok" she said.Dont let them get the best of ya,stoop to there level,thats what business is all about.:hmm3grin2orange:

At least she was erring on the side of caution :shootself:

Gramazing
02-13-2010, 12:50 AM

Well my skunk cories can just suck it up.

HeatherB
02-13-2010, 01:02 AM
I better go down to the store and stock up on Pepper for my peppered corys! Seriously? And all you with clownfish better get your face makeup and multicolored wigs on!

Hahaha!!!

lowlight
02-13-2010, 01:37 AM
I am having some algae shipped from Asia for my Siamese algae eaters.

"How much bamboo did it eat" Thats some fuunny stuff.

Scrup
02-13-2010, 03:21 AM
Well it went good, traded it in for some male balloon mollies. Had to bring a water sample for them, and the lady was grossed out by a few peices of duckweed, told me it would probably mess up the test...

/sigh

so she had someone else do it, she was grossed out by it and wouldn't touch it. Test strips..oh boy.

oh wow...my water tested fine! Imagine that.

Oh..according to him though, my PH of 8.5 is just WAAAY too high for any fish except african cichlids.

got home, tested it to make sure...even 7.0...

oh well, I am glad he knew what he was talking about (save for the test strips)...could have gone without the hour long lecture on drip acclimating and PH differences, though I was impressed how much he did know for a box store employee!

toddnbecka
02-13-2010, 06:07 AM
I'm guessing the employee with the duckweed issue was a blonde? :14:

gadget228
02-13-2010, 12:19 PM
Trusting your LFS to have the correct information was the first lesson I learned when it comes to fishkeeping.

Zilla
02-13-2010, 06:30 PM
One has to wonder where these crazy people come from. I can't say that I would have been so nice about it. I would have been like "Say What? What are you talking about?"

:stickwhack:

Lukenasia
02-13-2010, 06:40 PM
*Imagines having to provide an air force base for his Flying Foxes, specially with Fox hunting being banned in UK, so what would they bomb? Ex-hunter houses? :14: *

Sorry I have a tendancy to take puns to a whole new level :11:

lowlight
02-14-2010, 08:09 AM
Did you ask him where the balloons were at for the Mollies? I am still laughing.

SunSchein89
02-14-2010, 08:39 AM
I've already had a few returns and stuff laying around in my house from pet store employees that were quick to give solutions to problems they didn't really understand. I'm about to be an employee at a pet store myself and working mainly with fish and reptiles. I already know a good deal more about reptiles than fish, but I'm at least making an honest attempt to educate myself, both first hand and through research, before dishing out any info on them. Plus the one thing they try to stress that most people don't listen to where I work is just say "I don't know," and try to figure it out since people will/should react better to that. I should know by now not to just listen to any employee, but I still find myself doing it from time the time and end up with crap I don't need.

You should go in to the store and tell them they're not feeding them the right kind of bamboo, make them look for Nigerian bamboo or something obscure to throw them off.