PDA

View Full Version : New 90 Gal Tank Stocking Questions Sa & Ca

pat1963
05-02-2007, 03:26 PM
Hi all
Back to the hobby after a 20 year hiatus, darn things have changed!
Just finishid cycling my tank using 20x 1.5'' Zebra Danios, everything went well no fish lost in the month it took.

I found a home for 15 of the ZD so no longer have them.
Tank has pleanty of plants, rock for caves and driftwood.
So here is what I currently have in there:

-5 x Zebra danios (1.5'')
-6 x Firemouth (2'')
-5 x Siamese Algea Eater (2'')

All of the above are getting along, the FMs of course chasing each other around ocasionnaly (I think I might have all males, hard to tell at that size...), and eating well and what they are suposed to.

What I will add short term:

5 x Clown Loaches

I would also like to add some more compatible SA or CA cichlids. Any suggestion on which ones and quantities would be appreciated.

Any and all opnions on my current and planned mix are more the welcome.

Thanks

Pat

Fishguy2727
05-02-2007, 07:36 PM
What size tank? What filtration? What water change schedule?

pat1963
05-03-2007, 05:11 PM
What size tank? What filtration? What water change schedule?

Rep
As I state in the title of the thread 90 gal.
10% water change per week.
Here is what I use for filtration:
Rena FilStar xP3 Canister Filter
Pumps 350 gph., for aquariums to 175 gallons.

Thanks for your help.

Pat

TehTANK
05-03-2007, 05:27 PM
Perfect size tank if you ask me. That is what I have is a 90 gallon.

pat1963
05-03-2007, 05:45 PM
Perfect size tank if you ask me. That is what I have is a 90 gallon.

Tank

I added af ew more fish, this is what I have now:

-5 x Zebra danios (1.5'')
-6 x Firemouth (2'')
-5 x Siamese Algea Eater (2'')
-4 x Clown Loaches (1.5'')

I am thinking of adding 4 x Rainbow Cichlids and leave it that.

What do you think? Would I be overstocked? Compatibility?

Everyones opinion is appreciated.

Thanks

Pat

TehTANK
05-03-2007, 06:10 PM
I personally think you would be fine with that. It looks like you have really good filtration on it and 90 Gallons is a big tank. You should just fine with that. You need to share some pictures!!!! Did you see my new set up?

gm72
05-03-2007, 11:48 PM
I have read, but have not had personal experience, that the siamese algae eaters will become aggressive with their own kind as they get larger. Again, I can't confirm this because I haven't had them, but I have read many opinions that state such.

Fishguy2727
05-04-2007, 12:03 AM
From what I have seen of the Renas that will not really be enough filtration long term. With most filters you need to cut whatever they claim in half and that is about what they can actually handle, which puts you at about 90. If all is well I would not worry too much about it except that I would add some type of HOB to ensure surface agitation. Biowheels are the best form of biological filtration. AquaClears are really good all in all. I would keep a close eye on it and if you can afford it a HOB will definitely not hurt anything. I would also up the water changes to at least 25% weekly. You are maxing out that tank (at least with that filtration and water changes). If you do want the stated stocking including the four rainbow cichlids I would definitely add more filtration. I would add a Fluval 405. In two years you will be glad you have the extra filtration.

pat1963
05-04-2007, 03:09 PM
I have read, but have not had personal experience, that the siamese algae eaters will become aggressive with their own kind as they get larger. Again, I can't confirm this because I haven't had them, but I have read many opinions that state such.

Actually it's the Chinese Algae Eater that goes bonkers as it matures.
I made sure I bought the SAE.

pat1963
05-04-2007, 03:33 PM
From what I have seen of the Renas that will not really be enough filtration long term. With most filters you need to cut whatever they claim in half and that is about what they can actually handle, which puts you at about 90. If all is well I would not worry too much about it except that I would add some type of HOB to ensure surface agitation. Biowheels are the best form of biological filtration. AquaClears are really good all in all. I would keep a close eye on it and if you can afford it a HOB will definitely not hurt anything. I would also up the water changes to at least 25% weekly. You are maxing out that tank (at least with that filtration and water changes). If you do want the stated stocking including the four rainbow cichlids I would definitely add more filtration. I would add a Fluval 405. In two years you will be glad you have the extra filtration.

Reptile
What's an HOB?
I was conidering adding a bio-wheel, maybe something rated for 50 gallons as added filtration.
As far as surface agitation. I just rotate my spray bar slightly towards the surface.

What do you think?

gm72
05-04-2007, 09:12 PM
Pat, thank you for the clarification on chinese vs. siamese algae eaters. My apologies for getting them mixed up.

HOB=Hang On Back filter. I love Aquaclear filters, no secret there. Most people would agree they are the best HOBs.

Fishguy2727
05-04-2007, 09:52 PM
AquaClear or Biowheels are the best. They each have different advantages.

pat1963
05-05-2007, 03:43 PM
Thanks GM & Rep

I was thinking of a HOB, but not much space lengthwise in the back of the canopy. How long are these things"
is one brand more compact than other for comparable gph?

cocoa_pleco
05-05-2007, 03:47 PM
aquaclears are a good size, but canisters mean you just need a couple of hoses to the tank. For HOB's, the best are-

Penguin bio-wheels
aquaclears
most whispers

Canisters are far better though, including fluvals

RobbieG
05-07-2007, 03:01 PM
I have an aquaclear 110 - It sticks way out from the back of the tank. (I had to put the tank 8" from the wall to have room to service it) This is OK on the tank I have it on - but it wouldn't work on any of my others.

gm72
05-07-2007, 03:06 PM
The aquaclear 70s stick out 4 inches.

RobbieG
05-07-2007, 05:00 PM
The 110 isn't a whole lot bigger than that by itself - but you need a bit of room to get at it. Its kind of tall about a foot wide and the waterline is pretty close to the top. I left about 2" between it and the wall and I need all of it to remove it for cleaning etc.

The plus side is that it is a fantastic filter - I have it on a 72 and my water looks like melted glass.