PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for planted 50 gallon?

Sandman
02-12-2010, 05:47 AM
I'm open to ideas on what would be a good addition to a planted 50 gal with 6 Odessa barbs and 6 silvertip tetras. The background on the tank is large white rocks with plain blue above it. That makes me think bright colors or dark colors might be good, what do you think?

Sharkman
02-12-2010, 03:06 PM
How about an all black angel fish?

Spartanhockey89
02-12-2010, 03:12 PM
With the barbs, an angel may get fin nipped. That may take out gouramis to, with their long feelers. How about a GBR, or any apisto species. The bright colors would look good. For dark I'd go with dalmation mollies or green swordtails.

Sharkman
02-12-2010, 03:53 PM
How about a blood parrot?

smaug
02-12-2010, 03:56 PM
How about a blood parrot?
Or 2,they like there own kind for company.

annageckos
02-12-2010, 05:13 PM
I would up the two schools to maybe 10 each. Larger schools look alot nicer than a bunch of small schools. Then I would probably look into maybe hatchet fish or evern orange hatchet danios. Pearl gouramis are nice, I have two in with my black ruby barbs and have no troubles. A nice large school of some type of cories. It really depends on what you have avalible to you in your LFS. Look around, see what you like. If you want any apistos or rams I would let the tank mature first before adding them.

Sandman
02-26-2010, 04:29 AM
Alright, clearly I am not good at taking advice :-)

My cycle completed this week, so this evening I went and picked up the following from my LFS:
- 4 Black Mollies
- 2 Horseface Loaches
- 1 Vampire shrimp
- 2 Red crystal shrimp

The loaches promptly buried themselves in the sand, which I was completely not expecting. I found it very amusing. I'm assuming it's a defense thing and they will come out once they are comfortable.

Thanks for the advice, everyone!