PDA

View Full Version : Advice on pond building

ic1angel
05-02-2007, 03:57 AM
I have this space in my yard about 121 cm x 243 cm (4' x 8') and thought about building a pond. The ground has a thick layer of concrete over it. Thats almost impossible to dig. Can someone help me get stared on buliding my pond?

Drumachine09
05-02-2007, 03:58 AM
First of all, get a sledge hammar, and break out about an extra foot along all sides. Then trace the outline of your pond on the dirt about one inch larger then the rim. Then coat the inside of the hole with wet sand and set in your pond liner.

ic1angel
05-02-2007, 04:09 AM
the layer of concrete is about 3" thick and under that theres a layer of material roads are built of. I live in the caribbean. I was thinking if i use blocks and block up maybe 2 ft

Lady Hobbs
05-02-2007, 05:31 AM
I don't think that will work. You still need to add the sand and liner and would have to run the liner up the sides of the walls.

crackatinny
05-02-2007, 08:48 AM
My aunty used to have an above ground pond like you describe, it was just bricked up in a box section about 2 ft then concreted over the bricks, hers was about 6ftx6ft, with a fountain in the middle, and she used to have some potplants sitting around the edges, you could also sit on the edge of the pond.

xoolooxunny
05-02-2007, 11:36 PM
you can use a saddle valve on a water line to SLOWLY add water to it, and have it go out the overflow. You'll never have to do a waterchange, or add dechlorinator at the rate the water goes in, or if you prefer, you can hook it right up to an RO system and have beautiful water leeching in! I just saw some guy doing it on tv today!

gm72
05-04-2007, 11:42 PM
Just rent a jackhammer.

Lady Hobbs
05-05-2007, 02:04 AM
My aunty used to have an above ground pond like you describe, it was just bricked up in a box section about 2 ft then concreted over the bricks, hers was about 6ftx6ft, with a fountain in the middle, and she used to have some potplants sitting around the edges, you could also sit on the edge of the pond.

That actually sounds pretty cool. You could paint the outside of the blocks with waterproof paint, too, and make it look very neat-o.

genitor
05-05-2007, 02:38 PM
You can dig a hole, cast the bottom with concrete and run up blocks along the sides. Then plaster the blocks and paint with an epoxy paint to waterproof the concrete. You must use an epoxy paint that is safe for drinking water. You need to use the epoxy paint since water will seep through the concrete and the concrete will also leech chemicals into the water which is not good for fishes.
You also need to work out some type of filtration system, and lots of pond plants will help with the nitrates.

OzPlaty
05-23-2007, 08:35 AM
You can dig a hole, cast the bottom with concrete and run up blocks along the sides. Then plaster the blocks and paint with an epoxy paint to waterproof the concrete. You must use an epoxy paint that is safe for drinking water. You need to use the epoxy paint since water will seep through the concrete and the concrete will also leech chemicals into the water which is not good for fishes.
You also need to work out some type of filtration system, and lots of pond plants will help with the nitrates.

As added protection from leaks I would add a prop butyl rubber pond liner with black plastic under it to protect it from punctures. You may have to make it bigger than 4x8 to minimise changes in water temperature, as its above ground and not insulated by the soil.

tattooedgrahamcracker
06-13-2007, 06:12 PM
there is a new kind of pond liner out where i live that is a threaded vinyl its stronger and more flexable than the normal liner and it is cheaper even cheaper than concreet. if you go with the concreet i would suggest putting down some chicken wire befor you lay the concreet to act as a sort of rebar it will increase the strenght of the concreet

gm72
06-14-2007, 02:19 AM
Chicken wire is a good idea for concrete. Spelled concrete. :wink2:

genitor
06-14-2007, 02:38 AM
Spelled concrete. :wink2:

lol:hmm3grin2orange:

tattooedgrahamcracker
06-14-2007, 03:41 PM
ya mees spellin taint dat good