PDA

View Full Version : Golden Zebra Danio

Waterlily
02-11-2010, 02:32 AM
Hi,
I've had these fish for a couple of weeks now and I'm finding them to be very nippy. They've already nipped off the top fin of one of my albino corys and just keep at him. They chase the white clouds around too. I've only every had white clouds and a betta, so I'm not used to the aggressive nature of these danios - is it normal? I'm finding that watching the danios nip at the other fish are stressing me out (it didn't bother me so much until I saw the missing fins), so I'm considering taking them back to the fish store and trying cardinal tetras. But before I do, am I just being too sensitive? I'd hate to take the danios back just to find that all fish do this! :help:

Little Embers
02-11-2010, 04:50 AM
It is normal for Danio's and they can be nippy unfortunately....I wouldn't call it aggression as in being mean, but more that they are very active fish and always curious about their surroundings, always checking things out.

How many danios do you have and how big is your tank Waterlilly? If you only have a few, a larger shoal will help and because they are so active, need a fair bit of space.

Waterlily
02-11-2010, 03:14 PM
Hi, I only have 3 of the danios and it's a 30g. I know they should be in groups of 6+, but I didn't want to add to many fish at once because of the amonia spike issue. But then I was concerned about getting more because I thought they would all be nipping and that little cory would just be a skeleton on the bottom of the tank!

rangur1
02-18-2010, 06:18 AM
danios are very active, too much so for the others you have. they will stress out your other fish. i would return/exchange them for a shoal of tetras or small rasboras.

mac
02-18-2010, 09:22 PM
Danois IMO would freak the poor Corys out just by the constant darting and moving around.

Other than that I would not advise keeping Danois with other fish bare for Danois IME. They tend to stress most fish.

I would get rid of them!!

Just so you know Corys and White Clouds need different water conditions, with the temp requirements.

mac