PDA

View Full Version : My first 10 gallon

guppy
02-10-2010, 08:44 PM
this is my first larger tank, before i've only had a betta in a three gallon. This time i decided to go with a larger tank since they are easier to care for. I got my tank as a kit a little over two weeks ago and have been doing a fishless cycle since. Today i just got my new additions! I got three orange von rio tetras and one blue mystery snail. Eventually i hope to get three more of those tetras and a blue gourami. I also decided to try a live plant. I dont have any special substrate just gravel and one anubias nana, soon i hope to get a few more if this turns out well!

Northernguy
02-10-2010, 08:47 PM
That sounds good!
How did you do a fishless cycle in two weeks? Thats fast!

I don't recommend a gourami in a ten.Its too small.

Bristley
02-10-2010, 09:51 PM
Congrats on the tank. thumbs2:

I do agree, 10g is too small for a gourami. And double check on the lights that you have for that tank. My parents bought a couple 10g's for my kids and the lighting isn't the right spectrum and not good wattage for planting out the 10's. You can get bulbs to replace the stock ones that are good for plants. (exactly what I will be doing soon as I want to plant out my kids 10's for them).

EmmanuelJB
02-10-2010, 09:53 PM
Sounds nice! But I also agree that a 10 gallon is small for a blue gourami. Maybe one of the smaller types would be better.

guppy
02-11-2010, 01:14 AM
sry i meant dwarf gourami, is the tank still to small for one of those?

and wat wattage am i looking for? i have a hood that has two sockets

Bristley
02-11-2010, 12:27 PM
Depends on what kind of plants you want to grow. Some need higher light that others, but IIRC a good start would be on the order of 2 to 3 watts per gallon so you would need 2 10watt or 2 15 watt bulbs and need to be sure they are in the right spectrum. (not too sure on what spectrum is best myself).

rich311k
02-11-2010, 01:55 PM
You should be able to find CF bulbs in Home Depot or Lowes that are the right color. usyually it is considered daylight. 2 - 15 watt ones should give you a good start.

Northernguy
02-11-2010, 02:57 PM
Here is a link with info on dwarf gouramis.
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/gourami/dwarf.php

SunSchein89
02-11-2010, 05:31 PM
I actually just found a good deal at walmart yesterday if you're looking to keep plants. I got two lights for my 10 gal planted I'm about to set up that could work in your situation as well. They're compact fluorescent bulbs by Lights of America, each is 10 watts. At the walmart here they were $5 and change a piece. They're definitely full spectrum (I think 6500K, I saw a review someone did on them and claimed they were, but I can't find it on their website) and should let you maintain most starter plants; many people recommend them from what I can tell. I wouldn't exactly call a 10 gallon tank large, though, you'll probably still be doing a lot of testing and micromanaging to start out :ssmile: .

annageckos
02-11-2010, 07:49 PM
A ten is small and you will still need to keep an eye on ammonia, nitrite and nitrates. Do you have a good liquid test kit? I like the API brand master test kit. Do you know what your parameters are right now? You will want to check them since this is a new set up. Due to space I would suggest a school of 5-6 von rios and if you really want a gourami look into a honey gourami. They are smaller than the dwarfs. I think that a dwarf would be pushing it. With the school of tetras the snail and the honey gourami you would be stocked. Good luck and please let us know what your parameters are.

guppy
02-12-2010, 01:33 AM
my readings are still at zero

And i was wondering if the food i got is too big? The tetras kindof hold on to it like a dog would a bone i guess then just spit it out. and should i b concerned that they dont eat from the top but while its sinking?

Also should i b worried about the snail escaping from the whole near the filter? i have cardboard there now cuz last night he was getting very close to the surface near the whole.

SunSchein89
02-12-2010, 07:36 AM
I don't really know if the snail would want to leave the water, I wouldn't think so, but I'll let someone else answer that one for sure. As far as the food being too big: as long as they eat most or all of the flake before it has a chance to sink and rot then it's not really a problem. Simple solution would be to just crumble up the flakes a bit when you're sprinkling them over the water. Also, being relatively new to fish-keeping myself, I'm pretty sure that most, if not all, tetras are what's known as middle dwellers. Different fish have different feeding and living habits: some prefer to stay near the top and feed there, some prefer the middle ground and will normally eat sinking food, and some prefer the bottom ground and will look for their food there. The easiest way to tell which kind of fish you have is the shape of their mouth. Any fish that feeds from the surface will have their lower jaw sticking out more so than their top jaw, middle dwellers have both of their jaws even, and bottom dwellers will have the top of their jaw stick out more than their bottom. Obviously this is to help them specialize and get their food more efficiently. Give it some time and your tetras along with any other mid-dwellers will probably come to the surface as well, especially if all of the food is getting eaten before it has a chance to sink to them. Mine did anyway.

lowlight
02-12-2010, 09:52 AM
The Tetras should be in a school of 5 or more, I am not familiar with Gouramis but I am willing to bet your stocked. I take a small pinch of food and release it just below the surface when I feed my Neons and they will take food they find on the bottom even though they hang mid water. For a light I use a bulb rated at 6500K. There are a variety of plants that don't require much light. I have 3 types of Anubius, Java fern and some crypts at .6 watts per gallon. They grow slow with low wattage but they do grow. Research and plan but most of all have fun.

guppy
02-14-2010, 07:09 PM
well thnx for all the help u guys. Crushing the food helped a lot they now eat the food no prob :). My readings are still at zero which is very good and will ad a few more tetras sometime this week. The only question i still have is do i need to worry about my mystery snail escaping? I have some cardboard by the filter but do i need to worry if i take it off?